Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Turn
Check 10 45.45%
Bet $2-18 1 4.55%
Bet $18-40 4 18.18%
Move In 7 31.82%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-30-2005, 01:56 AM

Default Re: Poll: IQ

The Ultimate IQ test is fairly easy. For what its worth
Old 04-30-2005, 02:08 AM

I've taken a few tests and I have scored 159-162.
Old 04-30-2005, 09:58 AM

IQ tests compare your mental age to your chronological age. They lose validity after age 15.
Old 04-30-2005, 10:09 AM

i have not read a single reply here yet so this may have already been brought up, but surveying IQ scores without actually knowing what the scale of one's test is cannot yield meaningful results. There are quite a few IQ tests used today, and each have different percentile scales so a IQ of 150 may make you a genius on one test and a tard on another.
Old 04-30-2005, 10:14 AM

i also should point out that if you trim this sample, it's histogram may look kinda normal. but its value seems to be centered at 130-140. and on some commly used IQ scales (as said above), like the welscher (sp?) scale, 130+ puts you ahead of 98% of people. is everybody at this forum that high above the mean? also, i am not even sure if all scales even go up to 170...
Old 04-30-2005, 11:17 AM

"is everybody at this forum that high above the mean?"

Not even close.

"welscher"

Weschler.

"i am not even sure if all scales even go up to 170..."

The Stanford-Binet V and the Cattell Culture-Fair Forms A+B can identify adult persons with an IQ at or above 170 using a SD of 16. Internet tests are garbage (with a few exceptions).

And there is a positive correlation between IQ and anything requiring thought. That's the idea. Given that poker requires one to simulate the thoughts and behaviors of the opposition on an ongoing basis ('higher-order intentionality'), which is one of the most complicated tasks the brain can perform, I'd say poker skill is very highly correlated with IQ. Of course, most players never get to the stage where 'higher-order intentionality' makes or breaks them as a player in a given game; but, assuming they get there, what distinguishes the great player from the merely good or average player is probably 'nothing more' than raw neurological potential.
Old 04-30-2005, 12:27 PM

correct me if i am wrong (cause i very well may be) but isnt the Weschler test one of the most commonly used tests, and doesn't it max out at a score of 150?
Old 04-30-2005, 12:59 PM

How hard is it to get ahold of an IQ test that gives me a good idea of where I fall? Are the internet ones really that bad?
Old 04-30-2005, 01:02 PM

go to the one that is linked to in this thread.
Old 04-30-2005, 01:21 PM

The Wechsler tests measure deviation IQs, with a standard deviation of 15 points of IQ . For adults, the ceiling on the Wechsler tests depends upon the age of the adult test subject.
Wechsler tests yield somewhat lower scores at the higher levels of IQ even after correcting for the 15/16 ratio of their standard deviations. Our own investigations of the relationship between Stanford-Binet IQs and Wechsler IQs suggests that a Wechsler IQ of 155 would correspond to a Stanford-Binet IQ of about 173.
Measuring 11 different facets of intelligence as they do, the Wechsler IQ tests are influenced by breadth of capability in various cognitive areas, as opposed to depth. They were designed as clinical evaluation instruments, and can detect various kinds of neurological problems. Dr. Wechsler warned that his tests should not be used above an IQ of 130, but they are commonly used to measure IQs considerably higher than that. One word of caution about IQ tests: they are subject to "ceiling effects" as an examinee approaches the ceilings of a test. For example, with the Wechsler tests, someone might make a perfect or almost-perfect score on several of the verbal subtests, but fail to make a perfect score on several others. Consequently, the indivdual in question wouldn't have bee adequately tested on those subtests for which she "hit the ceiling".
As mentioned above, Wechsler-derived IQs are adjusted for age to offset the cognitive decline that attends aging.
Generally, one's mental age stops rising rapidly when one reaches the latter teens--e. g., 16. Consequently, on some IQ tests, "16" was taken as the chronological-age divisor in an IQ calculation for adults. The Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale is calibrated for all ages up to 70, with chronological-age divisors appropriate to every age 70 or below.
The average IQ is, by definition, 100. To get an idea what this means, someone with an IQ of 80 or below is considered to be marginally able to cope with the adult world. People with IQ's of 80 or below typically work as unskilled laborers such as lawn maintenance and trash pickup. They generally need help from friends or family to manage life's complications. About 10% of the population has an IQ of 80 or below.
People with IQ's of 80-90 are a little on the slow side but may be found in fast-food restaurants, day-care centers, etc. They may also be found in unskilled jobs. About 16% of the population has IQ's in this range.
People with IQ's of 90-110 generally occupy semi-skilled positions, including typists, receptionists, assembly line workers, and checkout clerks. They are able to keep up with the world, and comprise about 46% of the public.
People with IQ's in the 110 to 120 range fill the skilled trades and include some tool and die makers, teachers, and Ph. D.'s among their ranks. They also make up 16% of the population.
People with IQ's of 120 and above tend to staff the professions as doctors, dentists, lawyers, teachers, and college professors. They fall in the upper 10% of the population.

source: http://hiqnews.megafoundation.org/Definition_of_IQ.html

Thought this might interest some of you.

David