Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2005, 02:22 PM

Default Re: A hand vs tommy angelo

I don't know much about Tommy Angelo, only from a very few posts of his I've read. But his style seems to stem from a very OLD style that was suited to the homegames of many years ago (or the very loose (and clueless) small-mid stakes games in the West Coast). This style relies on your opponents being really bad where you can fold all but very strong hands since they'll still pay you off multi-way when you do hit. You cannot beat any but the softest games playing that way today (e.g., he'd probably have no shot at any 30/60 game online). It's probably a good thing that Tommy doesn't post any strategy or hand-reading comments. He'd probably be laughed out of town.
Old 09-23-2005, 02:26 PM

"I don't know much about Tommy Angelo"

you got exactly one thing right in your post.
Old 09-23-2005, 02:55 PM

Your first seven words indicate we shouldn't have much confidence in the words that follow. True enough, you got the rest of it wrong.
Old 09-23-2005, 07:17 PM

You are a disgrace to your screen name.
Old 09-23-2005, 07:29 PM

Ain't this a good spot for a turn checkraise?
Tommy shouldn't have a King here given his preflop coldcall of a cut-off open raise while you could very well sell a king by chcekraising.

My play would be to usually bet with the occasional checkraise, the infrequent checkcall and the rare checkfold.

In other words:

1. All options are good; or

2. I have no idea what the F*ck to do
Old 09-23-2005, 07:40 PM

Default The big picture...

Tommy and I had breakfast at Bay 101 last July 3rd. I hadn't discussed much poker strategy with anybody besides my pillowcase in about a year. He talked about calling raises w/ AK and calling the whole way.

Whoa.

That sounded like what my pillow case must be used to hearing.

And, so for the last year or so, when Tommy has posted a lot of his check/calling hands, I've stood by and watched. His style gets flamed by a lot of people who don't understand how poker can be like Judo...use your opponent against him/herself.

And I watched as his (my?) style got flamed endlessly.

And, now, most importantly, I'm watching as one of the most respected posters here posts a hand where he does not know what to do. Even more entertaining, I'm watching as a dozen experienced, profitable, knowledgable players are responding, each with a different plan of attack. Check/call then check/raise. Bet/fold. Check/fold. Pay him to tell him what to do...etc, etc.

Maybe this is the hand where the masses will begin to see some of the benefits of the check/calling style.

I hope not.

Josh
Old 09-23-2005, 07:45 PM

Default You should post more. n/m

n/m
Old 09-23-2005, 08:11 PM

Default Re: The big picture...

there was a better hand where everyone except tommy immediately after the hand more or less self-castrated themselves
Old 09-23-2005, 08:16 PM

Wow. Glad I wasn't at that table.

At least they only self-castrated themselves. It's much worse when they self-castrate others!

Josh
Old 09-23-2005, 08:21 PM

A very well-respected poster here asked me what I thought of Tommy's play last night. I stopped, blinked a few times, thought about it and replied "I dunno. He didn't play at all like us, but I only saw 3 hands of his, and the hands seemed decently played, and when I left he had way more chips than he had when he started."