Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2004, 02:18 AM

Default Re: Low Limit in Vegas

Played most the low limit venues in Vegas (specifically most that spread 2-4) and found that the Monte Carlo was the most pleasurable experience. Steer clear of the one or two locals, but other than those guys, lots of soft tourists with some cash. I love to see the guys who buy in for $25 because they don't know any better and contiue to rebuy until the wife calls them to dinner.
Only downside... ugly cocktail waitresses.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:36 AM

I'm surprised no one mentioned the Flamingo for loose low-limit action. One example :

I'm UTG in the 4/8 game and find myself with red aces. I raise, knowing full-well that I'll get at least 4 callers, even though I haven't raised in the last 20 hands. Not only do I get called, I get re-raised and re-re-raised and there are 3 more callers, one of them cold calling a 4 bet. By the time it gets around to me, I get the chance to cap it (at 5 bets, rather than 4) and everyone calls, so there's already 30 small bets in the pot before the flop.

Flop comes 7-8-9 (a little scary, since there's probably a 10 out there) and I bet and get 3 callers. Another seven on the turn, I bet again and get 1 caller (who had cold-called a 3 bet). A 10 on the river - I check, the other guy bets and I call. He shows J 10.

Some people might have gone on tilt at that point, but I was up about 12 BB before that hand, so I was able to laugh it off. I had to go over and shake the guy's hand, even though I had just lost one of the biggest pots of the weekend. Oh... and I caught the same red aces about 15 hands later and they held up, albeit with a much smaller pot due to a 3rd ace on the flop.
Old 09-07-2004, 11:54 AM

So, no 2+2er plays at Circus Circus, eh?

Maybe that's why when I was there in March, I found the best game I've ever played in, featuring such characters as River Man, the Human ATM, and Pot Odds.

The room was disgusting but the game was friendly and fantastic - the BB jackpot was HUGE and yet there was only a small wait for a table. $3-6 with a single $3 blind. Heavy smoking encouraged.

I also found the Mirage $6-12 to be good, but I understand it's game-by-game, hit-or-miss, based on other posts here.

Mirage $3-6 and Excalibur games previously recommended here are solid referrals.

Check out CC, I guess, if you find yourself way up north for some reason.

CMP