Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2005, 03:25 PM

Default Re: IQ Question [Attn: Sklansky]

I gathered that. Maybe we can agree on this - if you haven't already, get the new Rolling Stones CD - it (they still) rocks.
Old 09-14-2005, 04:19 PM

me (130) a friend (112) and his brother (115ish) all took an IQ test together and scored 145.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:25 PM

IQ tests are generally made of several different "areas" and it is likely that some people will do better in some areas and others will do better in other areas.

Thus if you combine people who are strong in different areas, then the overall score is likely to improve. OTOH, if you combine people who are roughly equal in all areas, then the score is probably going to by similar.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:28 PM

Default Bad counter-example

Thanks for the memories - but your example is not relevant.

We cannot be assuming circumstances that mitigate, if not nullfiy the cumulative strength of the many.

In the Kasparov versus the World game, the "world" chose its moves by the "democratic" process of every participant (from grandmasters to patzers) submitting his preferred move. The move with the most votes (submissions) won and was played. Each vote had the same weight. That was clearly wrong. Kasparov was playing against the average strength of internet chess fans, admittedly not a tough task at all, even for lesser players than him.

The proper way for the Kasparov versus The World match would be for each submission to get a weighting according to the participant's chess status. This is how things are done (when they are properly done) in collective efforts.

In the Athenian democracy of Pericles' time, the governor was supposed to be any one of the citizens. Often they even gave the title to someone at random! That's because governing was not supposed to be job for "professionals" but something anyone could do - and if he was not expressing the will of the many, he was ousted immediately.

But when the time came for Athenians to build boats, they sensibly formed committees of expert naval architects and engineers of the day. No "man from the street" was to go in and offer an opinion. The concept of democracy is for politics; the concept of work is for the experienced and the knowledgeable. In this manner, the Athenians were saying that politics (how to govern Athens) was not supposed to be a matter of expertise. You learned how to govern .. by governing.

They were sensible people, those goat herders.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:35 PM

My statement is practically a tautology as long as the consultation is done properly. There is a simple proof. And I need everybody to see that before I deviously reverse course to further my actual agenda.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:32 PM

Piz:

"me (130) a friend (112) and his brother (115ish) all took an IQ test together and scored 145."

DS:

“My statement is practically a tautology as long as the consultation is done properly. There is a simple proof. And I need everybody to see that before I deviously reverse course to further my actual agenda.”

I don’t know David, Piz’s numbers seem to suggest something akin to the quick formula to convert Fahrenheit into Celsius. Take the average of these numbers and subtract 30 (instead of adding 30). You sure about that?

Tell you what, first you tell me who is the better of the two John or Paul. If you erroneously choose Paul, then I’ll give you another chance: If you agree that the Rolling Stones still rock with their latest CD, then I will. (If you have no idea what I am talking about, see my dialogue with Whitmore above.)

Since I know even with the very slight chance that you would get then first one wrong (if you chose Paul), I know you could almost never get two questions wrong in a row. So put me down for seeing “that” what you said. Now you can proceed with deviously reversing your course to further your actual agenda - lol.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:22 PM

Default It\'s NOT intended to be a \"counter-example\"

It's just a related example...and interesting, or at least I so thought.
Old 09-15-2005, 07:57 AM

Default I knew it

[ QUOTE ]
I need everybody to see that before I deviously reverse course to further my actual agenda.

[/ QUOTE ]

The dog gets it in the end, right ?
Old 09-15-2005, 10:16 AM

RJT:
"Take the average of these numbers and subtract 30 (instead of adding 30)."

I am an idiot. I took the sum of these numbers and divided by 2 instead of their average. Then I subtracted 30. This comes close to the 145, too.

If one takes the average and adds 30 it comes close to the 145.

Maybe we are on to something.

I am joking with all this, of course.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If two people working together got the same IQ scores as one person over a battery of tests but scored less individually, would their success rate be equivalent to the single person over a range of intellectual endeavors if they are allowed to work together?

[/ QUOTE ]

If that range of intellectual endeavors is an IQ test, yes. If it is like an IQ test, quite likely. Otherwise, I think the predictve ability of the IQ test would likely drop.

An IQ test, first and foremost, measures a person's ability to produce the correct result on an IQ test. It measures a few types of problem-solving capability, but it is anything, but the authoritative test of intelligence or ability in intellectual endeavors. There's also the fuzzy measure of success that makes things even messier. Some people are good at tests, but suck at life.

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said.
Also IQ tests are mostly worthless once you get above the average other than telling you "You're above average"
Most of them were originally designed to measure deficits, not brilliance. Anyone who spouts off their IQ is most likely a tool that doesn't understand how little it means.

P.S. What do you do for a living benkahuna? I've seen several of your posts now that make me think you're a science-type.