Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2005, 12:08 PM

Default Re: Tight Passive the Way to Go?????

Are you going to back your whole stack with aces post-flop? what if you get QQ in the SB and a couple limpers to you (arguably one of the toughest spots in hold'em). You're just going to get crushed when they know the only hands you play are rank 1 and outflop you or straight run you out of the hand. You won't see "moves" every hand but in the big pots you can expect to see it more frequently - how is a passive style going to help you here, or having no reads?! You're the one dead money player in it.

If you're really advocating tight/passive play then truly you belong at the SSNL forum - I play at the same stakes you just jumped to and find lots of useful posters on that forum. A lot of posters there have over 2k posts and play at larger stacks but continue to help others out even below their level of thinking. I would say tone down your arrogance and just lurk these forums for a while so you can learn something.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:12 PM

1. i cant beleive your listening to the announcers on live at the bike

2. what many describe as tight passive is actually good poker against maniacs or calling stations. if i knew no one would ever catch on i would play the exact same way and on line at these limits no one is catching on.
Old 05-10-2005, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
what many describe as tight passive is actually good poker against maniacs or calling stations

[/ QUOTE ]

-Maniacs, sometimes
-Calling stations, never

Please correct me if i am wrong but why would you advocate a tight passive approach to playing against a calling station?
Old 05-10-2005, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I watch Live at the Bike a lot, and the announcers are constantly criticizing passive play, yet the successful 1/2 players are check calling with TPTK?!!

[/ QUOTE ]
The announcers on Live at the Bike often give bad advice, particularly in NL. Further, their commentary appears to be influenced by what they see in the other players' hands rather than based only on the betting actions.
Old 05-10-2005, 02:03 PM

Because he's not really describing truly passive play. It's more like ultra-tag. So it's as good a strategy against calling stations as you can get.
Old 05-10-2005, 02:04 PM

i just mean abc poker. wait for a good hand and push it. call it what you will.
Old 05-10-2005, 02:09 PM

Tight 200 tables on prima. You are kidding right?
Old 05-10-2005, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
play 6 max, much more fun

[/ QUOTE ]
And difficult. And rewarding. And the way to become a better poker player. And from what I've found, much more profitable per hour once you've gotten good at it.
Old 05-10-2005, 05:05 PM

One vote for lurking. I'm a SSNL player but I lurk like crazy here cause there are lots of people on this forum thinking many levels deeper than me, and thats where I'm trying to go. It seems like it should be obvious, though, both how to do well against tight passive players and why instituting such a strategy will become less and less effective as you move up in stakes.
Old 05-10-2005, 05:12 PM

As I said above, I'm a SSNL lurker here, and maybe I can get some advice here. I don't know your style, gomberg, but say your preferred style is fairly LAG-y, or at least looser than true TAG. What situation do your numbers go down to 10%/3%? Is it only if you sit at a table with a bunch of seasoned LAGs? Do you respond to loose passive players by tightening up, or do you stay loose when you catch any decent piece of the flop figuring the chances of him calling down with an even weaker hand are good enough to continue?