Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2005, 09:19 AM

Default Re: Just got pulled over while walking

[ QUOTE ]
Good, don't let him run you over. Reminds me of the constructive dialogue when I was arrested on the airport in Belarus. First:

5 guys with machine guns: You have broken this and this rules. We have proof. You are under arrest.
Arnfinn: No, I haven't done anything wrong
5 guys with machine guns: You have broken this and this rules. We have proof. You are under arrest.
Arnfinn: No, I haven't done anything wrong.

etc. etc.

KGB-officer with better English arrives. Dialogue goes as follows:
KGB-officer: You have broken this and this rules. We have proof. You are under arrest.
KGB-officer: We have proof.

etc. etc.

KGB-officer: You are free to leave, but if you break these rules again in future you will be in trouble.
Arnfinn: See you later.
KGB-officer: Have a nice trip. Sorry for the problems (!).

Upon which she followed me through every checkpoint, the guards tried to check me, but she just told everyone to back off, so that I did not have to show either my luggage or passport or anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's bloody scary!
Old 09-05-2005, 09:27 AM

I guess I was the only one that thought this was pretty stupid?

Yes, he was unprofessional and an [censored]... but you really were being a dick. I got the feeling that you would have pulled your little stunt regardless of his attitude, and that's wrong for a variety of reasons.

I think its worth explaining worself if the alternative is police never questioning suspiscious activity. I think you just wasted 20 minutes of his time so you could feel like a big, swinging dick. I think that, even if you were dead set on playing this little prank, you could have handled it better.
Old 09-05-2005, 09:38 AM

You crazy Canadians.
Old 09-05-2005, 09:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess I was the only one that thought this was pretty stupid?

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand your point but I like the story for a couple reasons.

One is that people rarely bother to ask what their rights are. Even people who can't stand cops tend to turn into sheep when anyone in a uniform starts asking them questions or telling them what to do. Stories like this at least get people thinking a little, sometimes cops are investigating a legitmate concern, but sometimes their abusing their power and sometimes you can get yourself into trouble when you don't have to and/or you shouldnt be.

Second things like this expose major weaknesses in law enfrocement training. There are many ways this could have been handled by the cops better. After OP said no comment they could have explained the reason they asked or why they were stopped. They could have expressed concern that they would get where they were going safetly. Hell, they could have said you know what, you don't have to tell me anything put im trying to protect the people of this neighborhood and as a courtesy to them and to me help me out.

Instead the cops got beligerant and turned what could have been a freindly encounter into a nasty one. Now people think the cops are dicks, the cop think people are dicks and things can just escalate.

Probably if this is reported nothing will happen, maybe just a slap on the wrist. If many people make similar reports hopefully at some point the agency will reevaluate their standards and training.

The best thing is to take some time and actually learn what your rights are, but if you are stopped I think people should tactfully be sure that the are treated fairly and respectfully while protecting their privacy.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:27 AM

There was a similiar thread to this like a month back, that resulting in some very awesome discussion IMO. After that thread I decided that if I ever get hassled for absoultely no good reason at all (i.e. a situation similiar to yours) that I would take the same line of action you did. Good stuff.

And yeah, I would DEFINATELY file a report or make some sort of complaint, as the way he acted was just total bullshit. I know all cops arent like that, but he really goes to show exactly why the steroetype that cops are nothing more than bullies with a badge, exists.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
4am this evening

[/ QUOTE ]

4am is morning, not evening.

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, I live in Canada.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait...maybe not.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:06 PM

I think what you did was commendable. As one of the other posters said, there was a long discussion of this issue about a month or so ago. At the time, I was surprised by how many people were willing to act like sheep and give up their rights to the police.

Btw...since you didn't get the police officer's badge number or his name, nothing will come of this. Because this was a "minor" infraction on the officer's part, his superiors will claim that they can't do anything without a name or a badge number. It'll be the blue wall of silence.

If and when his superiors won't do anything, you can make a complaint to the police services civilian review board (I live in Ontario too). They'll be little more cooperative and helpful. A friend of mine accidentally cut off a police officer when he was pulling out onto the street. The police officer flipped out, sped around my friend and then cut him off to force a stop of my friend's vehicle. The officer then leapt from his vehicle with his gun drawn and ordered my friend to exit his vehicle. The officer was enraged at having been cut off and was totally out of control.

When my friend complained to the police, they gave him the run around and claimed that there was no evidence of wrongdoing on the officer's part (even though my friend had provided a name of an impartial witness who happened to be walking by when this went down). He filed a complaint with the civilian review board and they are now investigating.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:09 PM

He called you 'dicks' just like the Canadians in "South Park?"

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-05-2005, 12:30 PM

Yikes what city do you live in? I'm out walking relatively often at those hours (either by myself, with my girlfriend or other friends) and I've never once been bothered.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:43 PM

Giving cops a hard time is -EV.

Here are the options:

1) Be nice to the guy, answer his questions, continue your walk in peace.

2) Be a nit, give the guy a hard time and hope he doesn't make life difficult for you just because he can.

Bottom line: The cop was wrong. He was being a dick, and should not have done so (assuming the OP is retelling the events accurately). Nonetheless, only bad things can come of being a nit to a cop.

I've gotten out of several well-deserved tickets just by being a nice guy (someones gonna FYP this one, I'm sure) and bantering pleasantly with the cop. They are so used to nits like you that they cut me some slack for being a nice guy.