Default Re: My typical day

[ QUOTE ]
what is wasting life?

[/ QUOTE ]
Not enjoying it?
Old 11-16-2005, 03:09 PM

"Am I wasting my life here? "

You're wasting your kid's lives. Get them out of daycare. You should be ashamed.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:27 PM

Let me get this straight

1.You husband is a professor and therefore makes a very good income - enough to support you and your kids comfortably.

2. You gamble all day while your kids are in daycare which is likely costing you $500+ a month after tax.

That's pathetic
Old 11-16-2005, 06:05 PM

I wouldnt say that somebody who plays poker profesionally "gambles all day". If you play profesionally it becomes like any job. Just because her husband makes money she should not be forced to not have a career of her own. If she was a teacher or waitress or whatever and sent her kid to daycare during the days, how would this be different ? It woudlnt.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldnt say that somebody who plays poker profesionally "gambles all day". If you play profesionally it becomes like any job. Just because her husband makes money she should not be forced to not have a career of her own. If she was a teacher or waitress or whatever and sent her kid to daycare during the days, how would this be different ? It woudlnt.

[/ QUOTE ]

She made a whopping $20K in a year (actually more than a year). After taxes closer to $15K. Daycare is $100 - $150 per week so call it $5,000 per year. So she clears $10K - peanuts, really.

BUT the reason she quit her programming jod was to stay home with the kid. And the reason she give for daycare is so he can spend time with other kids - and so she can play poker. Sounds like she's selfish to me...She can't wait onother year and a half and play when the kid is in school?

When you have little kids, they should be your first priority, your second priority and your third priority.

You also must feel guilty that you hawk your kids off to a stranger with a questionable backround every day. Ask someone that used to work in a daycare center what the quality of care is really like and you will quit your job tomorrow. My wife worked in a daycare center for a week while in college and quit because of how the children were treated.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So she clears $10K - peanuts, really.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh come on. That "peanuts" is about the annual income of a full-time, year-round worker on minimum wage. I'd love to be in a place where $10k is peanuts. You may not think it's worth the trade-off, but let's not pretend that the income she's forgoeing by quitting poker isn't very significant to many families.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:37 PM

I guess its different if you play poker for the thrills and leave your kids away than if you are pursuing a poker career and making money, so i kinda see your point. Somehow whether or not a pokerplayer gets recognition depends on how much money he makes. I guess this wouldnt be an issue if she made 150 000 a year
Old 11-16-2005, 03:31 PM

"What you call wasting, I call living...I'm living my life!"

[/Seinfeld quoting]
Old 11-16-2005, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I sometimes feel guity spending all my time playing cards instead of doing some real work. But if I had a regular job I don't think I will have any time playing. Tough decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'm still ranting on. She feels guilty that she's not doing real work and concerned that a real job would interfere with poker time. Hmmmm - poker or a real job. What about your CHILD? Don't you feel guity that you play poker instead of mother?? Does anyone else with kids have a problem with this??