Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2005, 03:27 PM

Default Re: Why am I losing?

The next time you feel sad, just say to yourself "At least I'm not johnny."

This was my July:

Old 08-02-2005, 03:29 PM

As others have already said, the sample size is too small to draw strong conclusions. But if we pretend for a minute that we could draw some conclusions from this, here is what I think for what its worth:

1) You are losing a lot more out of the big blind than you should be. Obviously no one is a winner out of the BB, but something is not quite right about your BB defense. Maybe post some hands and we'll be able to figure it out.

2) This may just be a strategy difference that some people will disagree with, but I play even more aggressively on the flop, especially when I am the preflop raiser.

3) You may be paying off a little too much later in the hand. Your W$SD % should be a couple points higher. But this may also just be due to the small sample size. You'll have to figure out that one yourself.

4) Finally, you should probably be doing a little better in the cutoff. Maybe make some more steal attempts from there or just generally play that position a little more aggressively. Same is true for the button, although your numbers are not too bad there. Don't underestimate the importance of position.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Normal W$SD should be close to 55%, does that sound right? Mine is just above 50, which I think shows I am calling river bets far too often.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, that 55% is about optimal. Calling the river is of course just one of the possible reasons. This number will also be low if you are value betting rivers with the worst hand and getting called. You also have to consider this number in the context of you went to SD stat which is probably too high.

Still very hard to make much out of 13K hands. That can be 1 week for me if I get to it.

I recently started to play a new level and for 15K hands was running at 4BB/100. I was planning my retirement. Next 15K hands I ran at -.4BB/100. Variance is a bitch.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The next time you feel sad, just say to yourself "At least I'm not johnny."

This was my July:

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, just wow. Those are some crazy numbers and seem kinda strange with such a good w$SD. Baffling.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Normal W$SD should be close to 55%, does that sound right? Mine is just above 50, which I think shows I am calling river bets far too often.

[/ QUOTE ]
Common sense would dictate that how many showdowns you win can be influenced by factors other than how often you call a river bet.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:40 PM

Yo Yo Mom,
Could you run a filter for 5 handed only and a filter for 9 handed only and give the same numbers?

I'm interested in seeing how you adjust as the table fills up.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As others have already said, the sample size is too small to draw strong conclusions. But if we pretend for a minute that we could draw some conclusions from this, here is what I think for what its worth:

1) You are losing a lot more out of the big blind than you should be. Obviously no one is a winner out of the BB, but something is not quite right about your BB defense. Maybe post some hands and we'll be able to figure it out.

2) This may just be a strategy difference that some people will disagree with, but I play even more aggressively on the flop, especially when I am the preflop raiser.

3) You may be paying off a little too much later in the hand. Your W$SD % should be a couple points higher. But this may also just be due to the small sample size. You'll have to figure out that one yourself.

4) Finally, you should probably be doing a little better in the cutoff. Maybe make some more steal attempts from there or just generally play that position a little more aggressively. Same is true for the button, although your numbers are not too bad there. Don't underestimate the importance of position.

[/ QUOTE ]

Helpful post. I will post some hands from the blinds, I think I need to raise more on the flop (less slowplaying), and I think I do need to steal more from the cutoff ( I steal liberally from the button, but I think I am playing a little too tight from the CO because I am worried about being out of position against players who just won't fold, especially against someone who is losing. Seems like once I start losing I am on the F.O.S. list and lose all folding equity. Maybe I need to move tables when this happens?
Old 08-02-2005, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yo Yo Mom,
Could you run a filter for 5 handed only and a filter for 9 handed only and give the same numbers?

I'm interested in seeing how you adjust as the table fills up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure will. I'm at work now, but I will post this tonite. Appreciate all the help and support guys.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Common sense would dictate that how many showdowns you win can be influenced by factors other than how often you call a river bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, but look at my folded to a river bet stat. Much lower than it should be, much lower for me than it has been in the past.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Helpful post. I will post some hands from the blinds, I think I need to raise more on the flop (less slowplaying), and I think I do need to steal more from the cutoff ( I steal liberally from the button, but I think I am playing a little too tight from the CO because I am worried about being out of position against players who just won't fold, especially against someone who is losing. Seems like once I start losing I am on the F.O.S. list and lose all folding equity. Maybe I need to move tables when this happens?

[/ QUOTE ]

As JA Sucker said, frequently losing can beget more losing if you are letting it affect the way you are playing at that table. If people call you down more often at the table while you are losing, you can use that to your advantage by tightening up and bluffing less until they pay you off when you show down a big hand or two. Then you'll probably regain some folding equity and and be able to bluff a little more and win some smaller pots w/out a showdown. It all depends on the feel of the table. If you are multitabling and having a hard time picking up on these "feels" you may want to just play one or two tables instead of three or four. I find that my BB/100 rate at the PP 30/60 increases significantly when I only play one table as opposed to three or four. Of course, I get fewer hands in that way, so there is a tradeoff, but for some people it just works better.