Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2005, 11:24 PM

Default Re: First Notable Downswing - Beat Me Up and Advise Me...

Very refreshing. Thank you.
Old 04-23-2005, 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just had my first notable downswing in my "determined" semi-pro career. 2.25 hours, 45BB...

Tell me I'm a pussy, and that a 45BB downswing is nothing. Tell me I need to get used to swings like that, and if I can't deal with it, I should find a new hobby.

[/ QUOTE ]

As stated, -45 BBs is nothing. Not even worth noticing. Most people here won't even call it a "downswing" until you hit -100 at least.

[ QUOTE ]
Are losing sessions common?

[/ QUOTE ]

Incredibly so. You'd be doing extremely well if you only lost in 1 of 3 sessions.

[ QUOTE ]
how often I can expect to be laying on the floor crying because somehow a 6-10o that called my UTG raise sucked out a straight on a A-7-A flop

[/ QUOTE ]

I lost twice tonight in ~200 hands to runner-runner 2 pair. Losing sucks. But if the good starting hands always stood up, there'd be no need for a flop. If everyone played properly, nobody would make money. Pretty straightforward stuff.

[ QUOTE ]
I berated a fish today. But I didn't tell him he was a bad player. I just called him an abomination. But I didn't refer to his card playing ability...

[/ QUOTE ]

So he took that as an insult to his avatar, then?
Old 04-23-2005, 11:30 PM

Are you the one who posted a little while ago that he was going to go pro?

If you are worried about a 45 BB downswing then going pro is not for you.

You shouldn't even worry about a 100 BB downswing if you are a winning player as that is just variance.

I played 3,817 hands today and was down at 1 point just under 100 BB, I finished todays session up 86 BB.
Old 04-23-2005, 11:46 PM

Yes, I am the one who posted about going pro. However, I'm not the one who posted this topic. I was pointing out that 45 BB is nothing.

Seriously, I don't even worry about 100 BB downswings. It's when they get closer to 200 BB is when they worry me.
Old 04-23-2005, 11:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are worried about a 45 BB downswing then going pro is not for you.

You shouldn't even worry about a 100 BB downswing if you are a winning player as that is just variance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.
Nobody should be even THINKING of going pro until they have some sort of a handle on the variance involved.

I don't even know how many sessions WOULDN'T have regular swings of 20BB back and forth.
So certainly 45BB is not extraordinary by any stretch (as has already been mentioned a zillion times).

Those who even occasionally browse these forums should be able to learn that fairly quickly.
same for those who even play only once in awhile.
Old 04-24-2005, 03:40 AM

Tonight I played 700 hands of 10/20 6MAX

I dropped $1000 (50BB) in about 40 minutes to start the session. This is playing well using good table selection (i.e. could be much worse if you are not doing either of those)

I ended the session up 35BB. Thats normal. The reverse happens too. If you don't believe that or the swing affects the way you are playing, then you need to play a lower limit.
Old 04-24-2005, 04:12 AM

I went down about 30 BB at the beginning of my session today, and finished up a whopping 100 BB at 5/10 6 max in only 3 hours. I am not sure what this has to do with the thread, but it's pretty wicked.
Old 04-24-2005, 04:51 AM

Nice I agree...and don't worry about nothing to do with the thread. Ther thread wasn't much to begin with.

Maybe everyone can post their small smaple brags here like you and I and we can encourage the OP while bragging all at the same time.
Old 04-24-2005, 06:50 AM

If you insist:

My last 1300 hands: 8.65BB/100

This was all 6-max...mostly 5/10 with some crypto $2/$4 as well as brit-sterling 2/4 (pretty close to $4/$8) thrown-in.

Hoo-ray for upswings.

On the $5/$10 6-max alone I had 886 hands, for 8.1BB/100, +$719.49.
This was also while clearing the latest party reload so I got an extra $100 on top of that....and the stuff at crypto goes part-way to clearing $130 in bonuses on that site.

(tourneys that I played in didn't go as well though).

Last week I had a nice little 180BB down-swing.
I had started off with a nice +100BB run...and it didn't take too long before I was suddenly at -80BB's.
At 5/10 this obviously means I went from +$1000 to -$800.

Anybody who sweats a 45BB down-swing too much should probably not be playing at that limit in my estimation. It shows you might not have the physical bankroll to be playing there...and certainly don't have the psychological bankroll for it.

It's one thing if you say "I've lost 45BB's. This sucks. I'm taking a break."
It's another thing if you say "Geez....I just can't handle these swings. I just can't afford to fall behind by 45BB's."

It's up to the individual to determine what level is appropriate for them (where they can emotionally withstand the inevitable 50+BB down-swings that will happen frequently).

It's also up to the individual to determine whether these swings are REALLY down-swings OR are just pretty bad play.
In the case of my 180BB set-back a few days ago I decided it was more a case of the latter.
Old 04-24-2005, 07:25 AM

Do you use the 300 BB bankroll for your limit?

If so, that "downswing" is less than 1/6th of your roll and really nothing to be worried about. Don't concentrate on how much you are "up" or "down" during a session, concentrate on playing good solid poker and your results will improve.