Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2005, 02:57 PM

Default Re: Why is the NBA not as popular as it was?

So at this point, I'm assuming most people are with me when they say the NBA is down. What do you do to fix it? What will make someone like me, a casual fan, come back?
Old 11-03-2005, 03:01 PM

well i grew up with jordan and i idolized him so when he retired i was just bored with the NBA, even though i would watch every mavs game and go to a lot of them. it just wasn't the same anymore. but after watching lebron in preseason and last night, maybe he can do what MJ did for me as a fan <fingers crossed>.

nothing was more exciting than watching a single player dominate. i think the NBA is coming back.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:02 PM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.

[ QUOTE ]
So at this point, I'm assuming most people are with me when they say the NBA is down. What do you do to fix it? What will make someone like me, a casual fan, come back?

[/ QUOTE ]
Age limit increase.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Age limit increase.

[/ QUOTE ]

didn't this already happen?
Old 11-03-2005, 03:05 PM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Age limit increase.

[/ QUOTE ]

didn't this already happen?

[/ QUOTE ]
They instituted one, yes. I'm proposing they make it higher. Both the college game and the NBA will benefit.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:11 PM

I can't believe nobody has said this yet:

The NBA has lost popularity b/c the players aren't as good as they used to be.

They are much more athletic and versatile, but not nearly as fundamentally sound. Shooting and intelligent passing isn't taught anymore; dunking is. Europe is producing more fundamentally strong players than the USA is now.

Basically, nobody wants to stand around and watch guys miss shots all night. Running, 1 on 1 plays, and dunking is only so exciting, which is why people have tuned the game out.

There is no easy solution to this problem. Perhaps America will wake up when they realize they are no longer a dominant TEAM basketball nation anymore, but I doubt it.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:15 PM

Because people are fools. The NBA is awesome, and still a million times more fun to watch than baseball, and only slightly behind football depending on what you like.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My uncle, who is a successful basketball coach, says he does not like watching the NBA because it is not a team game anymore, but one guy trying to score each possession and four guys standing around.

[/ QUOTE ]
i don't completely agree with this.

what teams have dominated the league the last few years, the spurs and lakers. both team-oriented teams, especially the spurs with their ball movement and half-court offense and to me there is not a more boring team to watch and their NBA finals ratings (against the years they aren't there) prove that they are a boring team.

the games with the best ratings last year were suns/mavericks and that was hardly good basketball with them just running up and down the court scoring at will. i don't think "good" basketball is the problem.

the 80's and 90's were the boom of basketball and introduced new breeds into the NBA and torches were carried over. now we have been there done that and its just not as exciting anymore.

but with the emergence of lebron who seems to be the one to ACTUALLY fill MJ's shoes i think the NBA may be on the rise again. who knows [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree with him at all either, I was just giving a reason I hear a lot. Hell, I love watching AI run an iso and break someone's ankles while the rest of the 76ers stand around and play with themselves. I think the NBA is f'ing amazing and is my favorite sport to watch. The athleticism and strength of some of the players blows my mind. LBJ is not even 21 yet and looks like he could be the next MJ in terms of popularity and talent. Players like him, Dwayne Wade, Amare, etc. are definately talented enough and marketable enough. Team scoring has been on the rise. I don't think the NBA is in trouble at all.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also consider that big cities don't really have good teams anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's funny, cause people think this exact same reason is killing MLB, only opposite.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's because people don't know what they're talking about. They just throw out reasons.

Stars and drama create big TV ratings. That's true for all forms of entertainment.

[/ QUOTE ]

But doesn't the NBA have just as many stars as MLB and NFL? If anything, the stars in the NBA should be more recognizable because they are so much more visible than the other leagues.

[/ QUOTE ]

The original question asked why the NBA wasn't as popular as it was. The Bird-Magic-Jordan years gave the NBA stars that haven't been matched yet with the possible exception of Shaq.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Age limit increase.

[/ QUOTE ]

You again with your hatred of the young black male. K's deal was right.