Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2004, 10:27 PM

Default Re: .5/1 vs. 1/2 vs. 1/2 6-max vs. 2/4 Why should I play each limit?

when you guys talk about seeing a certain number or hands, does it matter that I play a lot? I can go through 10,000 hands in 10 days as I play like 1000 a night. Should i go for more hands because I play so much? I always 4 table 4-6 hours a night about 6 nights a week. Also I see people that dont play as many tables when moving up. I dont do that, is that a mistake?
Old 12-13-2004, 10:59 PM

The number of hands is irrelevant. The amount of time is too. What is relevant is your true skill level. How well do you understand and apply all the concepts discussed in these forums? If you apply them all and are playing great all that matters is your BR.

I think the reason why people recommend playing a certain number of hands is that you should be learning a lot about the level you're playing over the course of that many hands. If you feel you've learned what you need to learn at 1/2 go ahead and move up. If you're struggling stay a while longer until you feel you're "getting it". Sometimes the 10,000 hands advice is used to prevent someone who is just running hot at a new level from getting their asses kicked when they jump to a higher level when they really aren't ready and the cards cool off.

I'm a little concerned that you may be blasting through a level by playing too many hands in too short a period of time. Sometimes time (not just raw numbers of hands played) and reflection gives us persepctive we can learn from. Posting here and thinking about hands helps me. It takes my thick head weeks and even months to assimilate new strategies into my game. I'm in no rush to move up levels and assume when I'm ready I will know. I think you will too.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sometimes the 10,000 hands advice is used to prevent someone who is just running hot at a new level from getting their asses kicked when they jump to a higher level when they really aren't ready and the cards cool off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to add on to this, I'm in the midst of a 3500 hand 100 BB downswing. Over the course of this time period, some of my biggest losing hands are KK, QQ, TT, 99, AKs, AKo, AJs, and KQs. Now, does this mean I shouldn't be playing the limit I'm at? Of course not, it's a bad streak.

I did not post about my downswing to cry. I'm sure none of you really care about my personal $600 loss. But a lot of players will see a 3500 hand stretch where they're making tons of money and assume that means they're ready for the next limit. It just doesn't work that way. Levels get harder - the cards stay the same. Eventually you hit the downswings. Only after playing through these downswings (and you'll have some that last much longer than 10k hands...but typically 10k is a reasonable number of hands to expect to have the cards even out) can you determine with any certainty whether you're a winning player at your limit. If you can determine you are, and you feel you're ready for the rigors of the next level, go for it. But I recommend NOT using huge successes over a short period of time to justify a move.

Hope this made sense.

Alex
Old 12-14-2004, 03:35 AM

Excellent post, Ajax.

I think the most important thing is to play enough so that your brain can absorb what you've learned. So if you can play 10,000 hands in 10 days, you should probably play some more over a few more weeks and do some hand by hand analysis to understand what mistakes you have made just so your brain can have time to learn everything fully. There's really no rush, and I think to err on the side of caution and learning at your own pace is important.
Learning = $$$. So learning is most important. Do everything you can to learn.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:34 AM

Really intresting post ajax. I have recently moved up to 1/2 and going to grind that for a couple of thousands of hands before trying 1/2 6-max. My first thought was moving up to 2/4 right away but the 1/2 6-max step in between makes sence.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:28 AM

I don't know why people have mentioned this, but you're not the only one. I find 30+ VP$IP tables at any hour of the day. They might get over 18 and 19 for avg pot size during prime time, but I'll take a $15 pot size with 35% VP$IP easily.
Old 03-10-2005, 01:44 PM

Nice post.

I just moved up to 1/2 last night (2-tabling, only 300 hands), and I agree that it's quite weak-tight. I play a pretty LAGGY game (I was about 20/13 last night), and there were a ton of opportunities to isolate loose limpers with abnormal raising hands, and to blind-steal. I think my comfort level with heads-up situation is a lot higher than most players at that level.

It's actually quite nice to be able to raise a loose MP limper in MP with a marginal hand (like A8s, or 66) from (say,) MP3, and not get cold-called by everyone behind you, out-of-position and with a poor hand.

I also managed to play with our friend JihadOnRiver a bit last night, and he's as obnoxious in the game as he is on these boards.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The number of hands is irrelevant. The amount of time is too. What is relevant is your true skill level. How well do you understand and apply all the concepts discussed in these forums? If you apply them all and are playing great all that matters is your BR... I'm in no rush to move up levels and assume when I'm ready I will know. I think you will too.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've just started dabbling in 1/2 after almost 40k hands of .5/1. I think I learn how to play more slowly because I am usually bonus clearing .5/1 on 3 tables and not playing optimal poker, especially with reads, even with Gametime+. If I only played on two tables I'd probably be learning more per game-gaming hour. With the 1/2 I'm starting with only one table at a time and I'll stick with that or maybe try two tables.
Old 07-23-2005, 04:30 PM

bumpo
Old 07-23-2005, 04:35 PM

screw that jump straight to 3/6 6max and play with me Im a fish

for real though this is a really good thread