Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2004, 03:39 PM

Default Re: Favorite Lines to Bad Players

In general, I agree with you (although if I'm on a losing streak I will sometimes make a negative comment, but this is a leak I'm working hard to plug). An exception, though, is loose agressive players. A lot of them think they know how to play poker, and sometimes a little trash talk after you beat them can put them completely on tilt. I'm especially inclined to trash talk back to maniacs if they have been giving me a hard time after I snap off their 4th bluff in 6 hands by calling with A high or something like that.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Those who play for straights and flushes end up selling Fuller brushes."

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't heard that one before. I'd always heard "Those who chase straights and flushes, soon go home on Greyhound buses." The other version rhymes better, but it is hopelessy outdated. I'm old enough that I have some vague early childhood memories of the Fuller Brush man coming to my house, but I don't think Fuller Brush has been around for a long time. Either way, it's mostly wrong for limit holdem or limit stud.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:10 PM

"Yahtzeeeee" always seems to do the trick.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:21 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

yeah you generally shouldn't say anything but sometimes it's fun. I was clearing a bonus and about to quit and cash out one time and I happened to flop aces full on an A77 board headsup. 65 caught a backdoor straight and spewed chips to me. since I was quitting and not coming back, I couldn't hold myself back from writing "how does it feel to give me $55 while drawing completely, 100.000% dead?"
Old 12-14-2004, 09:03 PM

You know...

The original post started with "I know it's inappropriate to do this". I'm willing to bet that few posters here have NEVER EVER berated someone. It's like running a red light, or peeing on the toilet seat or taking someone's last smoke. You should never do it, but most of us fail despite striving always for perfection. And we all have bad days from time to time.

That being said, if someone uses this post to share a piece of wit that they KNOW they should never use again (and hopefully won't), I don't see the harm in sharing a few zingers here.

"Nice bet. You could have checked and lost for free."
Old 12-14-2004, 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's like running a red light, or peeing on the toilet seat or taking someone's last smoke. You should never do it, but most of us fail despite striving always for perfection.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're rationalizing. I've never berated anyone at the table for their play, and never will. I'm quite certain most good players can honestly say the same thing.

Martin
Old 12-14-2004, 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"nh"

[/ QUOTE ]

This is absofrigginloutely the best line! You want the fish to keep playing K3o like it's a strong hand! Sure the great god Variance will smite you some days, but in the long run, you'll punish them severely for doing that.

The few times I've succumbed to the temptation to criticize bad play, I've regretted it immediately.

-Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

I absolutely HATE "nh." Its so obviously sarcastic. When I catch myself typing that in, thats the surest indicator that I'm on tilt.

The time that I do say "nh" is when someone takes the pot down and, shows that they had it. I say "nh" then in an attempt to keep getting them to show their cards.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:34 PM

I do type in "nh" when the player truly makes an awful play that works. The real fish don't recognize the sarcasm. I've said this quite a few times at the Moose Lodge, where they play like [censored], and love 10/20. Usually the fish are beaming and think they've played smart. "Nice hand" never dissuades them from their high opinions of themselves.
Old 12-14-2004, 09:37 PM

nh
Old 12-14-2004, 10:03 PM

Let's see. You:

1) are a good player.
2) have perfect manners every time you have played, and will always have perfect manners in the future. Infallible, always perfect. There is not one solitary thing that you have said at a poker table that you could conceivably regret.
3) You are completely honest with yourself about this and other aspects of your game, as all good players are.

I'm honest enough with myself to know that I'm not perfect. I can also honestly say that I can count on one hand the number of times this year I've said something (to another player) that I've later regretted. I'm not proud of it, and it's not something that I intend to let happen again. I'm being completely honest by saying that the bottom of a -200 BB swing, the worst bad run that I'd seen in two years, was enough to bring out the worst in me. That was the last time I said something I shouldn't have. Right now I'd like to think that experiencing adversity has benefited me in some way...perhaps it will take something worse before I crack next time.

Looking back, I'm embarrassed that I lost my composure, and humbled that I cracked and became bitter after something that really amounts to small potatoes in the grand scheme of things.