Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2005, 08:04 PM

Default Re: Limit TT Check Up

That is fine. I am not criticizing you. I think the betting play is very reasonable. I am saying I may do it a little different in the right circumstances. These things change. No two hands poker are ever the same. There is just too many variables involved. Betting here is the right play but it does not mean it is the best play for me.

By no way am I questioning you or calling you stupid. I never really look at post counts to be honest with you.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:05 PM

Right, so you bet both hands. Do you see what I'm getting at? If you're betting hands like TPGK and middle pair + a gutshot, you should also be betting your strong hands like sets and flopped straights.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:08 PM

(grunching)

What are you doing if you get raised on the river? The donk-raise on the turn could mean he's testing to see if his ruddy ace is good, he made two pair, or is raising the FD. The river card is actually scary if he had aces up on the turn. I would probably just call a river raise. However, you read is confusing--is he laggy? If so, you can call a cap on the river.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am tempted to check that flop if I knew there was an aggressive player behind me. That board had to hit someone and it is likely I am huge favorite. I can then trap the other players for two more bets and build a big pot.

Remember that situations like this are gold in limit hold em. Focus on all the players in the pot at that time. You may even trick an aggressive player into a bluff. Your way ahead and you collect your money on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I amiably disagree with checking the flop. You have to protect your hand with a raised (big) pot. Only one player acts behind you and giving a free card here would be the worst.

[/ QUOTE ]

...and a check-raise in the wrong spot will give odds to call, vs. a bet doesn't, right?
Old 10-25-2005, 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am tempted to check that flop if I knew there was an aggressive player behind me. That board had to hit someone and it is likely I am huge favorite. I can then trap the other players for two more bets and build a big pot.

Remember that situations like this are gold in limit hold em. Focus on all the players in the pot at that time. You may even trick an aggressive player into a bluff. Your way ahead and you collect your money on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I amiably disagree with checking the flop. You have to protect your hand with a raised (big) pot. Only one player acts behind you and giving a free card here would be the worst.

[/ QUOTE ]

...and a check-raise in the wrong spot will give odds to call, vs. a bet doesn't, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Right. If it goes: hero checks, LAG bets, call, call, hero raises, call, call, call, then the calls are correct. If you bet & aggressive player just behind raises, then players behind him will have to call 2 cold.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:20 PM

especially here, because the player immediately to our right is the potential player getting check-raised. Meaning that anyone in the hand would be calling only on more after your check-raise.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:22 PM

I do not get your logic here at all to be honest with you.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:27 PM

I think he means a slow-play here is giving away your very strong and monster hands to your opponents, given that you bet strong and marginal hands as well.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:29 PM

NH.

Anyone not advocating betting this flop is a kitten killer.
When you hit the long shot that is a set, you want as much money in the middle as you possibly can. Very, very rarely that means check\raising. On a coordinated broadway board, checking painfully kills all sorts of small animals.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:30 PM

If any of your opponents are paying attention, they'll see what you bet an AKx flop with, and what you check with. Of course you need to vary your play, but if you want action on your strong hands, you need to play them the like you would if you had a hand that wasn't as strong. It's going to be harder for your opponents to play against you if you bet this flop with AA and you also bet it with KQ.

This starts to become even more important when you get to higher levels where the pots will more often be on average 3-handed, but I think it's a pretty important concept.