Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2004, 05:06 PM

Default Re: Houses/Neighborhoods where to live in Vegas?

[ QUOTE ]
Hi FeliciaLee,
Do any of the areas close to Vegas you mention *not* have emmisions inspections for cars?

No problem with wanting clean air (my car is very efficient, etc.) just hate having to hand my car over to someone every year.

Sincerely,
AA

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm embarrassed to admit that I don't even know! We just moved here [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Your question, however, spurred me to check it out. It seems that emissions requirements are only in the Phx and Tucson areas. Here is a link:

http://www.adeq.state.az.us/environ/air/vei/index.html

I guess if you live in the state of AZ, there are no requirements. I surely don't see all of those "Smog Huts" around Kingman and Bullhead City, like they are in Vegas.

In Nevada, however, it seems that all vehicles based in Clark or Washoe counties need emissions testing. Here is that link:

http://www.dmvstat.com/emission.htm

Parumph is in Nye County, but all of the other towns in Nevada that we discussed seem to be in Clark County.
Old 01-10-2004, 05:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess it all depends on your perspective. Getting an actual house (4 walls and a roof, I don't care how small) for only $200,000 would be a dream to me...maybe I should consider moving! Even a 1-bedroom condo in a decent part of LA runs about $300,000...Vegas doesn't sound too bad to me (except for the weather, that is).

[/ QUOTE ]
I know what you're saying. The DC area was the same. We would have easily spent 500k for the same house and land combo right outside of DC. In DC proper, maybe a million.

But for this area of the Southwest, Vegas is very expensive, whereas the surrounding areas are super cheap, although their property values aren't increasing like Vegas proper.
Old 01-10-2004, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Check out Green Valley and Henderson as suburbs of LV proper. On a relative basis, EVERYTHING is going to look cheap compared to most of NY state.

I forget how far Mesquite is from LV but another place you might want to look at.

[/ QUOTE ]
He says he wants to be closer in than Mesquite.

Believe it or not, upstate NY has a pretty cheap COL. Check it out on www.realtor.com.

I would say Vegas has a much higher COL than upstate NY at this time.
Old 01-11-2004, 03:28 PM

Default Re: Ok let\'s run with this

I've lived in Chicago for three years and Syracuse for many. Syracuse weather is worse, and it isn't even close.

-Syracuse has more days per year below freezing.

-It gets three times as much snow.

-It has 25% fewer sunny days a year.

Only 6 US cities get more snow (2 are in Alaska), and only 17 non-Alaskan cities have fewer sunny days.
Old 01-11-2004, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have only been to Pahrump once, but I have heard negative things; a lot of drug abuse/dealing, many people are very poor and on welfare, lots of prostitution.

[/ QUOTE ]

Prostitution is legal in Pahrump.
Old 01-12-2004, 04:54 PM

I had to chuckle reading that. I detached house around here goes for about half a $million now. But 70K sounds even better than 200K.
Old 01-13-2004, 05:13 AM

After reading your post Felicia, I looked at some websites, such as Kingman's Tourism site, the Chamber of Commerce, and a few realtors, and I have to say, as soon as the frozen Canadian dollar hits 1 US buck, I am selling everything I own, and buying a cute little rancher I saw for about 295K. NO mortgage, within spittin distance of Vegas, I just need to work at the local grocery store packing bags to make $$$ for food.