Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2005, 08:26 PM

Default Re: Religious Evidence and Miracles

[ QUOTE ]
Here's a fact you probably didn't know: The first record of anything regarding Jesus was written at least 40 years after he died. THe bible wasn't written by eyewitnesses, it was written long after Jesus was dead. Nothing written about Jesus (biblical or not) was written by an eyewitness or even a contemporary. This is an undisputed fact by most historians, including Catholic apologists.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's something you didn't know. What you say ain't necessarily so either. 40 years after Jesus died=73 A.D. Since there is evidence that the apostle John for one lived into his 90's, the period during which apostolic eyewitnesses could have written or dictated the gospels stretches almost to the year 100 A.D. Obviously each gospel was not written entirely by one person and might have had a principal writer plus a couple redactors, but that doesn't change a thing.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:00 PM

Default Re: Religious Evidence and Miracles

No, not everything written is written by someone advancing an agenda. When I say several bombs went off in London this morning, I am stating a fact. There were eyewitnesses; I saw the victims on TV. There is no agenda in reporting the fact of the bombs' existence. If I say Al-Qaeda is obviously responsible and this is part of their war against the West, and I say this without evidence, then I am advancing an agenda.

There is no proof that anybody has ever been able to instantaneously cure various maladies. There is a lot of evidence to indicate that those who claim do it today are frauds. There is also no evidence that anyone has ever been able to turn water to wine or reenliven a dead person. We have a report of Jesus doing these things written by a person or persons trying to "sell" it.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:00 PM

Default Re: As they say on Catfish Row

Methuselah lived 900 years.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Methuselah lived 900 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is with some displeasure that I must dispute this claim. From Genesis chp. 5, v. 25-26 (Good News Bible). "When Methuselah was 187, he had a son, Lemech and then lived another 782 years. He had other children and died at the age of 969."

Lemech, who lived to the very lucky age of 777, was the father of Noah - who had three sons, Shem, Ham, and Japheth. So ends the Sunday School Lesson for today.

Please don't make me correct you again dear friend - it is getting tiresome. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

-Zeno
Old 07-08-2005, 01:14 AM

George Gershwin is an authority on the Bible? [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

So good to have you posting again John.

I can hardly wait for our first disagreement in the Politics Forum. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

-Zeno
Old 07-08-2005, 06:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
From Genesis chp. 5, v. 25-26 (Good News Bible).

[/ QUOTE ]

I always imagined you being a King James man, but now that I think about it, Good News would suit you very well.

Bertie Wooster
Recipient of the Scripture Knowledge Prize.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:39 AM

Phat,

I have two Bibles - A King James Version, as you rightly guessed, and the 'modern' Good News Bible translation. I find having two Bibles to be very useful. I should also purchase "The New Jeruslem Bible" The Good Book to round out my Bible collection. This version is well respected and has extra books floating about in it, not found in my other two Bibles, all to expand the reader's general knowledge of God, which is always a good thing for a Christian like myself to have.

-Zeno
Old 07-08-2005, 05:44 PM

Methus'lah lived nine hundred years
Methus'lah lived nine hundred years
But who calls dat livin' when no gal'll give in
To no man what's nine hundred years

And don't correct the spelling, syntax, or punctuation, it's Ira Gershwin's, not mine. Pretty racy stuff for the time, no?