Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2005, 11:55 AM

Default Re: What to do during a downswing

still waiting for 100x100 [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-29-2005, 12:00 PM

I think the most important thing is not to let it change the way you play.

I'm going through the same thing right now ending up in 4th constantly as I seem to be losing all my races and a lot of the hands where I have big advantages. In the meantime the short stacks at the table seem to keep catching flops to double up and stay alive as I get taken out. Very frustrating.

In order to keep winning I have to approach each game with an optimistic attitude that things are going to go right for me. Otherwise I get much to tight and scared to take chances. Make sure that all of the losses arent causing you to change your game and make bad decisions.

Edit: Oh yeah. A punching bag next to your computer can do wonders and save possibly save some drywall [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-29-2005, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
... and the mental toughness to handle the very bad swings, you should be fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh oh, nobody said anything about me needing mental toughness before. Guess I'm going back to work. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 04-29-2005, 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm going through the same thing right now ending up in 4th constantly as I seem to be losing all my races and a lot of the hands where I have big advantages. In the meantime the short stacks at the table seem to keep catching flops to double up and stay alive as I get taken out. Very frustrating.

In order to keep winning I have to approach each game with an optimistic attitude that things are going to go right for me. Otherwise I get much to tight and scared to take chances. Make sure that all of the losses arent causing you to change your game and make bad decisions.

Edit: Oh yeah. A punching bag next to your computer can do wonders and save possibly save some drywall [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very good advice.
Old 04-29-2005, 01:25 PM

Have a liquid paper next to u, after a bad beat press it.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree that its really important to keep confidence in your abilities and strategies during a downswing. I usually find that during a downswing is the best time to reevaluate my play though and hunt down any leaks. When my cards are running hot I don't feel inspired to improve my game because my game is working. When I'm running cold though it motivates me to spend more time studying and evaluating my game in the place of some of the time I would have spent playing
Old 04-29-2005, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i duno, if u ever feel crappy about a run, remember, wwrd. and the answer is hit a wall and curse a lot

[/ QUOTE ]

Last night after my bubble A10 allin got called, dominated, and knocked out in fourth by A4 for about the 15th bad beat of the night, I asked myself WWRD? Apparently I didn't do it right becaues all I got was dogs barking, a newly awake/puzzled/angry wife, and a day at work where it hurts to type (-EV for software developer). I want a refund.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you scream HOLLA! like a little girl? If not, that's where you went wrong.
Old 04-29-2005, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
as long as you have the bankroll to handle the variance and the mental toughness to handle the very bad swings, you should be fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have any suggestions on ways to improve or strengthen mental toughness when dealing with bad swings? Right now I am re-reading some sections of books that deal with areas I feel are some of the causes of the bad swing, but are there any other suggestions?
Old 04-29-2005, 03:47 PM

Improving mental toughness can be tricky. I think the most common and easy way to improve in this area is experience. The OP for example is suffering his first bad swing since going pro, what doesn't kill you can make you stronger when it comes to this stuff. The next similar downswing down the road won't feel nearly as bad, and probabaly won't affect him as much.

This happens all the time when playing high limits or out ofyour bankroll, or after just moving up. The bad beats you never used to notice start affecting you because of the greater amount of money now in play.

Some people are genetically disposed to be able to handle these kinds of things better then others as well, and some peopleare just blow-ups and they can't keep the same level of play after a bad start. You need to find out which on e you are and monitor your play at all times, if you notice it slipping, you take a break. This can be a hard thing to learn, but it's saved me a lots of money.

Also, getting down on yourself and feeling like you can't win anything can be a self-fufilling prophecy. Believing that you are going through 'it' is just another form of self destruction.
Old 04-29-2005, 03:52 PM

Good points. I thought about this after I wrote it and I guess I should say don't let it change the way you play if you are a good player.

But you are definitely right. I know over the last month my game has actually gotten better because I have had to try to do more with less. The game is easy when its raining Aces.