Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2005, 07:58 AM

Default Re: A real question - alternative

[ QUOTE ]
usmhot --
If you could find out with 100% certainty that God (of the Christian faith) exists, but that in being given that 100% proof you had to accept all of Christ's religious teachings and completely serve Him, would you want to find out?

Remember, if you are going to completely serve Christ, you have to devote your whole life to others - helping the poor and sick and spreading his teachings.

[/ QUOTE ]

Something to consider:

" The miracle is not that we do this work, but that we are happy to do it." -- Mother Teresa

PairTheBoard
Old 08-17-2005, 10:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
" The miracle is not that we do this work, but that we are happy to do it." -- Mother Teresa

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent point! And it gets to the heart of my original question.
If anybody's suffering is also God's suffering, and we are 100% certain that God exists and experiences the suffering, and we know that God loves each and every one of us perfectly, then, for me the reciprocal applies - we must love God as perfectly as we can, and so suffer in his suffering, and so experience true happiness only in alleviating it.

At the moment, I feel guilty enough right now about the fact that I have a place to live, food to eat and time to enjoy myself, while there are people in the world who are subjected to poverty and suffering and the injustices of evil men. But, if I knew, with 100% certainty that God existed and that everything the Bible says about how we should treat God's children was true then I could not live with myself and not spend my life helping others. And I can't see how anyone in the same situation could.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent point! And it gets to the heart of my original question.
If anybody's suffering is also God's suffering, and we are 100% certain that God exists and experiences the suffering, and we know that God loves each and every one of us perfectly, then, for me the reciprocal applies - we must love God as perfectly as we can, and so suffer in his suffering, and so experience true happiness only in alleviating it.

At the moment, I feel guilty enough right now about the fact that I have a place to live, food to eat and time to enjoy myself, while there are people in the world who are subjected to poverty and suffering and the injustices of evil men. But, if I knew, with 100% certainty that God existed and that everything the Bible says about how we should treat God's children was true then I could not live with myself and not spend my life helping others. And I can't see how anyone in the same situation could.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Wakan Tankan Nici Un" -- Lakota

"May the Great Spirit walk with you."

PairTheBoard
Old 08-17-2005, 11:57 AM

This forum so far seems like the classy flipside of OOT. :P

I guess I'll have to read more.