Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2005, 03:38 PM

Default Greg\'s (Fossilman) play...

[ QUOTE ]
I agree, can we delete it?

I know that Greg would kick my ass in a tourny or limit game. If they are better than me, then get them to post. If they are worse than me---dont let them read the posts [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

I need to play worse players not better players. That said......Greg if I ever run into you playing. I might sit down for an orbit(what limit do you play at now?). You seem like a nice guy. Dont let these idiots mess with your head.

SFWUSC

[/ QUOTE ]

after reading all the brouhaha over his play, i saw him play in a $1000 SNG yesterday on Stars where he went out in
last place (9th). somehow i was thinking he was going to pummel the table. it did'nt happen. now certainly, it was only one SNG; however, i wonder if it's comments like yours that caused the original poster to start this thread. i'm sure Mr. Raymer is a good player and has alot of respect on 2+2, but then when i look at only one final table last year, maybe some people have good reason to think he is overrated.
Old 01-03-2005, 04:02 PM

Default Re: Greg\'s (Fossilman) play...

[ QUOTE ]
after reading all the brouhaha over his play, i saw him play in a $1000 SNG yesterday on Stars where he went out in
last place (9th). somehow i was thinking he was going to pummel the table. it did'nt happen. now certainly, it was only one SNG; however, i wonder if it's comments like yours that caused the original poster to start this thread. i'm sure Mr. Raymer is a good player and has alot of respect on 2+2, but then when i look at only one final table last year, maybe some people have good reason to think he is overrated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you see how silly this is? "You only rate him highly because he won the WSOP. Well I think he sucks because he finished last in an SNG I saw."

Not even a passing attempt to analyse the hand he went out on? Did he get his chips in as a complete dog? What odds was he getting? Did he have a bluff picked off? Jesus, why did you even bother to post this?

What you need to understand is that much of the respect around here for Fossilman's game existed before the 2004 WSOP, and was based on his writings about the game on these boards. Sure there are some band-wagonists, every bracelet winner has those. But if you think winning a bracelet guarantees respect around these parts, then you need to do more reading of this forum.
Old 01-03-2005, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you see how silly this is? "You only rate him highly because he won the WSOP. Well I think he sucks because he finished last in an SNG I saw."

Not even a passing attempt to analyse the hand he went out on? Did he get his chips in as a complete dog? What odds was he getting? Did he have a bluff picked off? Jesus, why did you even bother to post this?

What you need to understand is that much of the respect around here for Fossilman's game existed before the 2004 WSOP, and was based on his writings about the game on these boards. Sure there are some band-wagonists, every bracelet winner has those. But if you think winning a bracelet guarantees respect around these parts, then you need to do more reading of this forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

i never said he sucked at poker because he went out in last place in a $1000 online SNG. you assumed that.

his hand: K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], blinds probably 50/100, full table, he had about 600-650 in chips.

he raised first as the shortstack, got reraised all-in by another guy with more chips, and another guy reraised all-in. Greg pauses and thinks, then calls. the first reraiser has 7 7 and i forgot what the second reraiser hand, but it was better than K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. so yes, he was a dog to both other players in the hand and definitely had the odds to call the rest of his chips. did'nt work out though. some people would question raising with K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] at a full table anyway as a shortstack. none of that says i think he sucks. i have been reading about him in these forums and that's exactly why i watched his play in that SNG. i just thought i would see more than i did from his reputation here.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
when i look at only one final table last year, maybe some people have good reason to think he is overrated.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you think Raymer is rated here? Why do you then think he's overrated?
Old 01-03-2005, 11:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
when i look at only one final table last year, maybe some people have good reason to think he is overrated.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

from what i've read, he seems to be very highly rated here.
now, as far as the question of why i feel he is overrated, i never said he was. however, when i hear others talk about how good and respected someone is, i'm more inclined to look for a track record--- especially when were talking about poker. ironically enough, most of the info info i've found on him focuses on his WSOP win.

overrated? since i'm new here, why don't you tell me why he's not.
Old 01-13-2005, 04:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

now, as far as the question of why i feel he is overrated, i never said he was. however, when i hear others talk about how good and respected someone is, i'm more inclined to look for a track record--- especially when were talking about poker. ironically enough, most of the info info i've found on him focuses on his WSOP win.

[/ QUOTE ]

While his WSOP win is certainly the biggest win of his career, it's not like he hasn't placed well in other events. Between the 3rd place finish at the World Poker Finals and his consistent Foxwoods tournaments placing, he's rated well. I don't think he's overrated because no one is claiming that he's in the top 20 poker players. Even Greg himself knows what his win means in the correct context.

No one is saying that Greg is God, but that's what all the "Greg is overrated" people think we say.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

While his WSOP win is certainly the biggest win of his career, it's not like he hasn't placed well in other events. Between the 3rd place finish at the World Poker Finals and his consistent Foxwoods tournaments placing, he's rated well. I don't think he's overrated because no one is claiming that he's in the top 20 poker players. Even Greg himself knows what his win means in the correct context.

No one is saying that Greg is God, but that's what all the "Greg is overrated" people think we say.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok. cool. i forgot about this 10 days ago.