Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 04:10 PM

Default Re: Wrong!

[ QUOTE ]
NotReady-

I am fascinated by the fact that you can know all this stuff, seem to have even studied all this stuff, have the intelligence to understand all this stuff, yet still manage to be a Christian fundamentalist! ??

Seriously, I'm intriqued. It makes me think I might've missed something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, NotReady is the [censored] man! He's smart and respectful, which is a lot more than we can say for most Christians (and atheists, for that matter). He defends his beliefs better than anyone I've spoken with on this forum. If I had control over this thing, he'd be the only Christian allowed in here [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2005, 04:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
has there ever been a precise model done of exactly what the missing links would look like and how many there would be?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are billions of missing links. Every organism that reproduces is a link in the chain.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dude, NotReady is the [censored] man! He's smart and respectful

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't know him well enough yet. He knows a lot of facts, but higher-level arguments go right over his head. He's petty in his own special little way.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't know him well enough yet. He knows a lot of facts, but higher-level arguments go right over his head. He's petty in his own special little way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Look, after my all-out assault on BigSoonerFan, I'm trying not to come off as completely evil, please don't ruin this for me [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2005, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I could certainly grab Pat Robertson's quotes and generalize them to all religion but that wouldn't be correct would it?

[/ QUOTE ]

When he is correct, which he often is , yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's scary. (emphasis mine)

[ QUOTE ]

P.S. Alos, you can't count anything Crick did after the double helix Nobel as reasonable examples of scientific thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

If a Nobel prize winner isn't a serious scientist, who the heck is?

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh, sometimes people go crazy. Many people don't do anything noteworthy after winning the Nobel. They usually get a cushy position and do a lot of wild speculative hand-waving for the rest of their lives.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had my own set-to's with NR, and I'm echoing hmpoker's statement. We simply start with different axioms, so we end up with different conclusions.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Eh, sometimes people go crazy. Many people don't do anything noteworthy after winning the Nobel. They usually get a cushy position and do a lot of wild speculative hand-waving for the rest of their lives.

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone, perhaps you, don't remember, accused me of only using scientists I agree with. Aren't you doing the same thing?
Old 11-29-2005, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone, perhaps you, don't remember, accused me of only using scientists I agree with. Aren't you doing the same thing?

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess the difference is that I'm a scientist judging them on their science as opposed to just basing it on my beliefs and picking quotes and accomplishments to defend my case
Old 11-29-2005, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had my own set-to's with NR, and I'm echoing hmpoker's statement. We simply start with different axioms, so we end up with different conclusions.

[/ QUOTE ]

NotReady is a Calvinist if I'm not mistaken. That is the most logical, rational understanding of the Christian Scripture from my study of it. So, he gets points for that, in my book. His main problem is presupposing the Bible is inerrant and infallible. But, once he lets go of that, I'm sure he'll be an Agnostic/Atheist in a matter of months. Unless I just jynxed it. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2005, 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

His main problem is presupposing the Bible is inerrant and infallible. But, once he lets go of that, I'm sure he'll be an Agnostic/Atheist in a matter of months. Unless I just jynxed it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is key of course. If the Bible isn't the Word of God it's just another ancient text. If it is ....