Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2005, 12:29 PM

Default Re: Abortion

Just a book recommendation on this topic ---
anyone interested in a clearly written and thorough book covering "the abortion debate" should read David Boonin's 2003 book *A Defense of Abortion* (Cambridge University Press). Boonin is a philosopher at the University of Colorado who teaches and writes on, among other things, a variety of important topics in applied ethics. His book is at the level suitable for a majors level course in philosophy on this topic (he has taught this material many times while writing the book, as I understand things). In addition to his careful and reasonably precise argumentation, Boonin actively engages a wide range of professional and amateur discussions of aspects of the abortion debate. So his book provides a partial overview of the literature as well as how own perspective and defense of his position.
Old 07-24-2005, 02:16 AM

Arguments like this show why logic, reason, etc. are so vastly overrated (well, except in the case of taking fools' money playing poker, which I guess is the beauty of it).

Since we are all of varying intelligences, we can only reason with those who are intelligent enough to comprehend the argument on our level.

So when someone who thinks on a higher level tries to argue a point to someone who thinks on a lower level, who is incapable of comprehending said point, then it becomes a little bit like teaching a pig to sing. Both parties just end up frustrated.

So the argument is really only worthwhile as long as we're enjoying ourselves, which I hope everyone is. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-24-2005, 06:04 AM

I have a question. What happens on the issue of abortion when the world gets overpopulated? Obviously this is down the road, but Im just curious.
Old 07-24-2005, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Arguments like this show why logic, reason, etc. are so vastly overrated (well, except in the case of taking fools' money playing poker, which I guess is the beauty of it).

Since we are all of varying intelligences, we can only reason with those who are intelligent enough to comprehend the argument on our level.

So when someone who thinks on a higher level tries to argue a point to someone who thinks on a lower level, who is incapable of comprehending said point, then it becomes a little bit like teaching a pig to sing. Both parties just end up frustrated.

So the argument is really only worthwhile as long as we're enjoying ourselves, which I hope everyone is. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree it can be somewhat frustrating at time but I think it is always a good learning experience to hear and understand other's opinions.
Old 07-24-2005, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought it was probably time to take a break from the controversial stuff. So I decided to explain to everybody what there is to know about abortion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whether or not you agree with David, this is rather arrogant and presumptuous.