Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2005, 01:51 PM

Default Re: Ask any newbie question here

ka,

they are indeed profitable.

they are less common and less popular, as well as less absolutely methodical, than the nl sngs. the learning curve is sort of steeper too (you kinda have to know how to play limit holdem), but mostly it's because it's much less popular amongst the general population of the earth, which means that the games run less frequently that means they are less popular here.

citanul
Old 08-04-2005, 09:04 PM

When I hear about people multi tableing SNG's in sets what are they doing? Is this all at once or spaced out?
Old 08-04-2005, 09:11 PM

8 tabling in sets means starting up 8 tables and playing until they are all done, without adding more tables.

8 tabling continuously means at least attempting to keep 8 games going the whole time you are playing, so you replace any game that you bust out of.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:18 PM

how do people deal with 8 tabling if you get them all to the bubble. I mean if you start 8 tables at about the same time when it gets to the bubble it has to be pretty hard to keep up. Thanks for the answer though.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:32 PM

When I first tried 2 tabling, it was difficult at times. Now I am 5-tabling, handle it very easily and am ready to add tables when I get more hardware. Of course I can't pay as much attention to the hands I'm not involved in, but there is more $/hr this way and as long as you don't add tables too fast it's fun.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:11 AM

I have been reading the boards for a while and mainly, all I play are the SNG's @ PStars. I'm not setting the world on fire nor am I looking to. Playing for me at this point is more about fun than anything else (and if I can pick up some cash here and there great). The flip side is, no one likes to lose! I play the $5 SNG's, and I do ok. My ROI is not high, but my ITM is close to 40%. No this is not based on several thousand SNG's (this is for fun, like a hobbie and I don't want to lose my house, car or wife over it).

I recently set up Poker Tracker and really started delving into the database trying to figure stuff out. One of the things that caught my eye was my seeing flop percentage. I am @ 38%. From other threads that I have seen, this is low (more of a question than a statement, comments?). So what I have been trying to add to my game is more limping in. What I want is some feedback on limping and what the best hands are; suited, connected, or what? Seems like when I do limp in, that I am picking the worst possible moments.

No, I have not read any books yet. I think if I were to buy any, my adorable wife would think I am completely nuts, b/c I am playin quite a bit. But I DO plan to. Any advice on a good starter book? I don't want anything so advanced that I can't read or make sense of. Believe me, even with the FAQ explanations, some terms and figures, give me nightmares.

Lastly, PStars or Party Poker? I have only looked at the 'play' money Party, and didn't like it all that much. I see alot of reference to the Party Poker sight in this forum though (which makes me want to stay @ PStars even more [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ).

Thanks for the advice in advance!
Old 08-05-2005, 01:18 AM

tx,

the see flop % you have is in fact quite high in relation to basically everone on this forum. 38% of hands is a TON of hands. most people don't even have voluntary put in pot %s that high. and you don't see the flop every time you put in money voluntarilly!

in terms of books, HEPFAP, TPFAP, HOH1+2 are good. (see faq to figure out what those are!) though this forum is the best. if you don't understand something, just ask! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

if you want to play as a hobby, play at the site you like the best, for whatever reason it is. it really doesn't matter.

citanul
Old 08-05-2005, 02:21 AM

I wanted to respond by including my last hand that really ticced me off, but I won't....

Thanks for the advice. Before I posted, I forgot that you weren't big on limpin in....

I do appreciate it as I read in another post (somewhere) about a 60% seein flop, and one poster said that was high and looked for it to be around 42% I believe... Can't find the thread or remember the exact numbers. But I know it made mine look lower.

Based solely on the comments though, so I should play tighter? I did read the guide that was previously posted about a formula for play on Party. Tried to follow it, got killed in level 5. AND, since you brought up the Vol$ in, what should that be? I'd hate to post mine after your mention.... [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Thanks again......
Old 08-05-2005, 02:32 AM

the vol put money in number is really dependent on a lot of different things. notably, due to the way sngs work, it should be way higher late in the game than early. so a composite that just tells you the overall stat for the whole game is pretty meaningless.

i'm not sure about this seen flop thing. i mean, are you actually seeing 1/2 of all flops?

are you playing heads up or something? omaha?

citanul
Old 08-05-2005, 02:39 AM

Are oreos really that good that people make them out to be?
I live in Sweden where they are not widely accesible and I've never had the pleasure of consuming one.