Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2005, 07:54 PM

Default Re: Specific Question For Not Ready and Others

And what about the evolution of the species?
Old 06-30-2005, 09:20 PM

"Morality is a human thing." = Axiom????

"Any grouping of humans will naturally evolve moral guidelines. These will tend to show similarity across different groupings." = Rationalisation; Or is there some evidence of 'evolution' from amoral to moral social groups, that I have missed.

"Their capacity for self-delusion is not sufficient for them to believe something they do not consider to be possible, despite that fact that they wish they could." = No comment [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-01-2005, 12:27 AM

If 99.9 percent of supposed miracles that have been investigated have shown to be non miracles, and if miracles happenning means that the laws of science are sometimes disobeyed, and if scientists believe that the laws of science are never disobeyed, a combination of these facts means that scientists believe that it is far more likely that the one tenth of one percent of purported miracles that have not been completely refuted, are not really miracles either but rather events where the scientific explanation for it was there but somehow missed.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:37 AM

"And what about the evolution of the species?"

He has already stated that his beliefs do not require that evolution be wrong or that the earth being 5 billion years old be wrong. But he does believe (as do you) that miracles happen so we need not discuss anything else. Your differences with him (or rabbis, or mullahs, or astrologers or ESP advocates, or those who believe in rushes) are pretty irrelevant compared to the differences all you guy have with me (or the vast majority of those I know who are both educated and have an IQ above 150.)
Old 07-01-2005, 12:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

(or the vast majority of those I know who are both educated and have an IQ above 150.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Your circle of aquaintences is too small.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If 99.9 percent of supposed miracles that have been investigated have shown to be non miracles,

[/ QUOTE ]

Which one of these is in the Bible?
Old 07-01-2005, 01:27 AM

I think some supposed miracles in the bible, if they really occurred had alternative scientific explanations. Others like the sun standing still can only be explained with the scientific hypothesis that "it didn't happen". One of those two explanations almost certainly apply to all biblical miracles. Because there is no compelling reason to believe a miracle has ever happened while humans walked the earth and there is compelling evidence that they haven't. (Not so during Newton's time when so many things still seemed miraculous).

I will not contribute further to this debate unless at least five other posters say that Not Ready's counterarguments seem persuasive to them.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

if they really occurred had alternative scientific explanations.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you presuppose the non-existence of God, every miracle has an alternate explanation. That's just denying the possibility of miracles, it hardly constitutes scientific proof - whether you want to use the word impossible or unlikely.

[ QUOTE ]

the scientific hypothesis that "it didn't happen"

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that Einstein or Newton?

[ QUOTE ]

One of those two explanations almost certainly apply to all biblical miracles.

[/ QUOTE ]

So much for objectivity and neutrality.

[ QUOTE ]

I will not contribute further to this debate unless at least five other posters say that Not Ready's counterarguments se
em persuasive to them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't blame you.