Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2005, 02:13 AM

Default Re: \"Official\" Live at the Bike thread (4/29)

[ QUOTE ]
I have been a huge proponent of Gore's NL play since he started coming on the show. This pot was limped pre flop, there were people behind him when MM check raised and MM had him easily covered $2000+. If you r going to take the chance of limping with a big pocket pair from up front you better know how to get away from it if there is no raise preflop. Even though Gore had the best hand, he had no way of knowing it and I think it was the right lay down.

[/ QUOTE ]

Although I've played some no limit (small buy-in) I'm not really a NL guy, so take what I say with a grain of salt...

BUT, if you are gonna limp with KK, what exactly are you hoping for? Surely, it can't be to flop a set or fold. It seems to me the idea is to disguise the hand and try to win a big pot, otherwise what's the point in limping. So he gets exactly what it seems he wanted a fairly safe flop and an action player getting some real money in the pot. And then he FOLDS?!?

If laying down the Kings in this spot is the right play, then limping seems totally assinine.

but what do I know?
Old 04-30-2005, 02:49 AM

Razor,

The main reason why you limp with big pocket pairs in the first couple of positions is so that you can throw in a big reraise if the pot is raised preflop. Where Gore might have gone wrong on this play was not noticing that there had not been a lot of preflop raising. If you r going to limp with the intention of reraising pre flop and the pot remains limped you cannot take a lot of heat with your overpair if rags come on the flop. If you r good enough to get away from an overpair when this happens I think the risk is worth taking occasionally.

Bart
Old 04-30-2005, 02:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
BUT, if you are gonna limp with KK, what exactly are you hoping for? Surely, it can't be to flop a set or fold. It seems to me the idea is to disguise the hand and try to win a big pot, otherwise what's the point in limping. So he gets exactly what it seems he wanted a fairly safe flop and an action player getting some real money in the pot. And then he FOLDS?!?

If laying down the Kings in this spot is the right play, then limping seems totally assinine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure his number 1 goal was probably to limp-reraise. After that it sure is hard to put someone on a set of Kings when you don't raise preflop so you can make a lot of money if you hit.

I'm sure he still thought he was ahead on the flop, but if the stacks are deep you have to be willing to let them go if people start playing back at you.

Remember - don't go broke in an unraised pot.
Old 04-30-2005, 04:01 AM

I don't play NL cash games, so maybe the considerations are different, but in a NL tourney, I am going broke with KK on a T32 flop, I can't imagine why I would fold when I got my ideal flop and someone bet big into me. If I had limped preflop, it would be to trap someone into this exact situation.
Old 04-30-2005, 04:17 AM

What exactly is the proposed day/time change (I'm too lazy to look through the posts)? BTW, I like your commentary, it's much improved over the last couple of months, and I would rather hear you and guest commentators than just table talk (which is mostly mundane anyway, except for when certain "personalities" show up to play).
Old 04-30-2005, 05:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What exactly is the proposed day/time change (I'm too lazy to look through the posts)? BTW, I like your commentary, it's much improved over the last couple of months, and I would rather hear you and guest commentators than just table talk (which is mostly mundane anyway, except for when certain "personalities" show up to play).

[/ QUOTE ]

We're thinking about moving it to Mon-Thursday or Friday and condensing it down to anywhere between 2-3 hours.

Bart
Old 04-30-2005, 05:50 AM

i think Gore went or reverse tilt a little. he was beaten pretty badly when he had pocket Jacks and hit a boat on the river and re-raised seat 1 who had the quads. it seemed to me that he never fully recovered from that.
Old 04-30-2005, 09:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The main reason why you limp with big pocket pairs in the first couple of positions is so that you can throw in a big reraise if the pot is raised preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

and, of course, I forgot about the obvious reason for limping with a big pocket pair in EP...
Old 04-30-2005, 10:01 AM

Bart, I think Tuesday thru Friday would be a great change.

6-9 pm pacific. Ignore those who say no commentary would be fine.
I know that Jive liked the table MIC up a bit in the mix with your mic's. I have had a recording studio for 30 years
and I've done quite a few mixes and from my perspective,
the table mix, up with announcers a few db's above is what you are looking for. Your commentary for 4 hours must be draining on you guys, and I believe the 2 1/2 to 3 hours will be perfect.
As far as the guy with the comments about liking the table talk more, remember, this kid is 17 years old.
Take care,

Kashie
Old 04-30-2005, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't play NL cash games, so maybe the considerations are different, but in a NL tourney, I am going broke with KK on a T32 flop, I can't imagine why I would fold when I got my ideal flop and someone bet big into me. If I had limped preflop, it would be to trap someone into this exact situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tournament is insanely different than cash game. Cash games are insanely different from deep stacked cash games. The way the hand was played out, Gore made a fine laydown. He limped UTG with KK and didn't get his raise. That means he's going to play it cautiously and not go broke with this hand. Everybody limped. Flop was ragged and the blinds check, Men included. He bets and I can't remember if there were callers, but Men check-raised from the BB. That shows lots of strength and Gore could be waaaay behind. It's either a situation where you're way behind or way ahead and he chose to end the situation then. I like it.