Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2005, 02:32 AM

Default Downswing

Thought I would make my downswing post here as I feel the need to vent but don't want to clutter up the forum.

Long story short. I suck at 2/4. Lost like $700 the last two weekends. Which means after running well over my first 5K at 2/4, I am down like $2K at 2/4 and 3/6. Which has me depressed. Then tried to clear my deposit bnouos at 1/2 Pokerroom and lost like $120. So now I'm even more depressed. My bankroll is down to like $400 as I spent like $4K of the money I made at 1/2 on credit card bills and other stuff. So back to grinding out the 1/2.

I think that #1) I need to only do 2 tables at once as players take more shots at you and I think you really have to have reads and #2) I need to play some 6 max and get good at blind steal/defense. Anyways I'd appreciate any thought people have on moving up to 2/4.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:39 AM

Default Re: Downswing

Note to self: Value bet this river.

PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (4 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (2 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (3 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

River: (5 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 5 BB

durr...
Old 10-17-2005, 02:53 AM

Downswings can really screw with your head. I suggest a little time off (or just set aside some time) to review your play a bit more than usual. I know that this has helped me in the past to regain my focus.

As for moving up to 2/4, I know it can be frustrating...it took me a few shots to do it as well. There is no harm in grinding out a few thousand more hands at 1/2, and then trying out a bit of 1/2 6max. It might help you to diversify your play and increase your confidence.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:05 AM

Thanks for the reply. I definitely need to review my play, which is something I have never done (always did so well at 1/2 that I never felt like it), but there have to be some pretty major things going on to explain my performance at 2/4.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but there have to be some pretty major things going on to explain my performance at 2/4.

[/ QUOTE ]

Odds are, you are not playing your best game right now. You may be playing a bit scared because of the recent change in stakes, and you are likely a bit weak because of your confidence issues during the downswing.

If it makes you feel any better, I have weekly 150+BB downswings. They happen, and it's not always because of something you are doing wrong.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
but there have to be some pretty major things going on to explain my performance at 2/4.

[/ QUOTE ]

Odds are, you are not playing your best game right now. You may be playing a bit scared because of the recent change in stakes, and you are likely a bit weak because of your confidence issues during the downswing.

If it makes you feel any better, I have weekly 150+BB downswings. They happen, and it's not always because of something you are doing wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I definitely feel a little lost with the aggressive play at 2/4. Find myself folding when I shouldn't, then get pissed off when I lose a pot b/c of it and get a little tilted. Thanks a lot for the words of encouragment, I will be grinding it out at 1/2 for a while and then I think when I get back to 2/4 I will be only 2 tabling, really working on reads, and reviewing/posting a lot of hands. Thanks.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:31 AM

If you're having a problem with the aggressive play, I recommend at least 5k hands of 1/2 6m. Don't play there right now though. Sounds like your BR is already a bit short, and the variance could deplete it entirely.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:58 AM

Default Re: OMFG! STEVIE NICKS R0X0RZ TEH BIG ONE!!!!!!!!!!111111

[ QUOTE ]

Last 100k hands (since 8/01). Approx 70k hands are 9bb/100 @ .5/1 and the rest are higher limits.

I'm a luckbox.

[/ QUOTE ]

uh boring with all the blacked out spots

but congrats on being the second coming of DERB .. its amazing you've done so well without stealing properly, and raising so little
Old 10-17-2005, 02:48 PM

Default Re: Third Coming of the Designated No Content Thread! (Post it in here!)

I think I've done it now. 6 or 7 months posting in this forum and no serious flaming. But I posted in B&amp;M in a thread on shuffling, and I said under such-and-such case I wouldn't tip the dealer....I think I'm toast. In the interests of full-disclosure, I'll admit I was being nitty and a bit of a b!tch.

Trembling...
Old 10-17-2005, 04:40 PM

Default Re: Third Coming of the Designated No Content Thread! (Post it in here

"PokerStove is not fault-tolerant and is not designed, manufactured, or intended for use or resale as on-line control equipment in hazardous environments requiring fail-safe performance, such as in the operation of nuclear facilities, aircraft navigation or communication systems, air traffic control, direct life support machines, or weapons systems, in which the failure of PokerStove could lead directly to death."

Well there goes my project [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]