Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2005, 12:05 PM

Default Re: So What If I\'m A Hypocrite?

[ QUOTE ]
You all are hypocrits and if you say otherwise you're a friggen liar. I'm a liar too. So wwwwhhhaaatttt?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree we're all hypocrites. Here's my answer to the 'so what' part; MMMMMM was making a similar point, so here is what he said, and here is what I responded with. If you disagree, so be it. But I think this is why it's relevant:

MMMMMM:
[ QUOTE ]
How is your point relevant if nearly all Americans of the same category are hypocrites under your definition? Why single out the so-called "chickenhawks" for criticism if nearly all others are hypocrites too?

[/ QUOTE ]

Me:
[ QUOTE ]
Are 'chickenhawks' not relatively much louder than their counterparts ('chickenfirehawks' or 'chickenpolicehawks' or whatever cute name we might devise for such people). That is, are we not subject to the constant proclamations about 'how the war is necessary', 'if you don't believe in the war you're unamerican', 'these colors don't run', ‘support our troops you dirty liberals’, etc. etc. etc.

If people came here and defended fire-fighting as loudly as they defended the war, yet refused to fight fires, I'd be highly critical of them and/or single them out, too.

[/ QUOTE ]

In other words...maybe, just maybe - war supporters (the ones who refuse to fight themselves) should quiet down some. Why? Because they're hypocrites.

So the next time someone is thinking about saying "this Iraq war is necessary" or "liberals don't support the war", maybe they should consider just staying silent instead.

I'm not saying this should be law. I'm not trying to violate anyone's free speech. Just out of consistency.

If posters want to continue yelling about how these colors don't run, and how Democrats don't support the war, by all means, don't let me stop them. Just realize they're hypocrites for doing it.

I'd say the same thing to leftists who whine about the conditions in Iraq yet don't sign up for the Red Cross. They should reconsider how loudly they want to support humanitarian causes, given their reluctancy to do a damn thing about it.

Flame away.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If posters want to continue yelling about how these color's don't run, and how Democrats don't support the war, by all means, don't let me stop you. Just realize you're a hypocrite for doing it.

I'd say the same thing to leftists who whine about the conditions in Iraq yet don't sign up for the Red Cross. They should reconsider how loudly they want to support humanitarian causes, given their reluctancy to do a damn thing about it.

Flame away.

[/ QUOTE ]

D......

Perhaps focusing on the word 'hypocrite' surrounding this subject is a straw dog?

I would agree more if words such as 'ignorant' & 'self-serving' were the central theme of the state of mind of posters on both sides of this issue.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
D......

Perhaps focusing on the word 'hypocrite' surrounding this subject is a straw dog?

I would agree more if words such as 'ignorant' & 'self-serving' were the central theme of the state of mind of posters on both sides of this issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see hypocrite as being a necessarily poor way to describe what I'm getting at, but I'm willing to listen to alternatives. And I think hypocrisy is something we ought to try to avoid, if possible, and contains some meaning as a criticism.

By hypocrite, I mean something along the lines of:

Belief - Actions = something other than zero

...if that makes sense. I can clarify, if necessary.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:27 PM

Default Re: Bush asks for sacrifice he doesn\'t ask of himself

Since this thread has changed totally from its original intent, I'll have to ask just one more time...

Scoot, where are all these "good points" that this garbage editorial letter makes? You said they were there.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see hypocrite as being a necessarily poor way to describe what I'm getting at......

[/ QUOTE ]

....nor do I, but my feeling right now is that the semantics of word is getting 'hot' and distracting us from some of the other equally important components of the issue.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:37 PM

In my mind showing the hypocrisy of one's statements and/or actions is showing that their beliefs are conflicted (as I wrote above). I think this fits in with the points you're making FWIW.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:44 PM

Default Re: Bush asks for sacrifice he doesn\'t ask of himself

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am not saying that mistakes weren't made by everyone leading up to the attacks on 9/11. I do believe however, that the new information about Clinton's people supressing the information about Atta and some of the other hijackers is quite telling however.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have ignored more or less every substantive claim I made, and instead defaulted with "well, Clinton dropped the ball." I asked some serious questions in my post, and if one cannot provide good answers, it really begs the question of why that person, conservative or liberal, would want to stand behind George W. Bush or his administration.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have to refer you to a very simple fact. I don't really care what you wrote. I don't agree with a lot of what Bush has done. But I am glad that we didn't have a Democrat in office to really screw us up. If you wanted to blame 1 President more than any other who is at fault for 9/11, I would say its Clinton. It happened. It does NO good to try to blame someone OTHER THAN WHO DID IT.