Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2005, 02:40 PM

Default Re: Masters Tourney Thread

Exactly. I root for tiger for other reasons too, but seeing him is seeing history made. I get the sense the anti-tiger crowd would have gone to a Salieri (sp?) concert instead of a Mozart concert when they were both alive. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-11-2005, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
a member of the Tiger camp?

how do people cheer for that guy.. damn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I cheer for him the same way I cheered for Michael Jordan. I'm not a Bulls fan, and was never a Jordan fan per se, but I recognize when I'm seeing something special, that I'll tell the grandkids about someday. Tiger is the same way. I want to see history made, and him winning majors is part of that.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-11-2005, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How can you not cheer for him is a better question.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, I have my reasons. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] I respect his incredible talent and all, and I realize that him breaking Jack's major championship total would be historic and great blah blah, but there's just something about him that I just don't enjoy cheering for. It's like a combination of the Nike "attitude" and sponsorship and the fact that I just didn't really enjoy seeing him dominate the game the way he did in the stretch back around 1999-2001.

Phil is my favorite golfer and I'd much rather see him add to his major championship resume. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] I think he's going to take at least the US Open this year.

edit: i should probably clarify here that I do enjoy Tiger's incredible shotmaking ability and that it makes for excellent golf which is great to watch.. i just also enjoy his reactions when he blocks one right into the trees or another fairway. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] so when it comes down to it, I'd just rather see somebody else win.

oh, and I'm sure another contributing factor to my dislike of Tiger would be some of the golf commentators' (Lanny Wadkins, looking at you here primarily, but he's not the only one) tendency to deify him during broadcasts; you'd think that Tiger was always getting bad breaks and that he'd never made a bad stroke in his life, and it's only because he's got such "concentration" that he escapes the situations with par instead of a triple.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:02 PM

Lanny may be guilty, but nantz didn't give Tiger enough credit for the shot on 16 yesterday. "Well he has to win and maybe it is one of the best shots in Masters history...." If he wins it's one of the best shots in golf history. Nantz gets sentimental on a guy barfing up a pimento cheese sandwich into the pine straw, but then downplayed Tiger's shot???????