Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2004, 03:16 AM

Default Re: Impressions of Ultimate Bet SNGs

What I've found is its down to 4 or 5 as early as 20/40 but then it becomes quite tough, even at a $10 level. Real hard work for the rest of the game, I've played against some very strong players. Amazing to see them at that level.
Old 07-04-2004, 06:50 AM

I tried some UB SNGs anywhere from $5-$30 and found them all to be at least as hard as a typical Party $50 -- perhaps harder. Maybe I just got unlucky, but every table I sat down at I felt that more than half the table really knew how to play. It's really depressing to get outplayed at a $5 buy-in. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 07-04-2004, 11:39 AM

The games I've played today seem especially tough. They're still beatable but I'd say the play is roughly comparable with Party 100s. If they stay like this its not really worth the trouble. Some have been very soft as well though so we'll see.
Old 07-04-2004, 11:46 AM

After 10 $10+1 SnG's I find that it's easy to play tight until it's about 6 handed, at which point the crazies are gone and the blinds are around 30-60. At this point a bit of aggression makes it real easy to steal the blinds repeatedly.
Even if your shortstacked, people tend to not play back at you if they know that you're likely to push. Of course this strategy is only effective until you get called by someone's KK, so use caution in tricky spots, but don't be afraid to bubble if there's a good chance of moving up in the money.
Old 07-05-2004, 12:12 AM

Since all you 2+2 people jumped into these SNGs, the tables have gotten tougher. I'm not finding that many crazies. A few months ago, these were a lot easier, but I'm having a tough time this month.

Probably in part because I suck, but that aside, I still found myself doing better before. I've seen tables go 60 hands and only lose a couple people. Maybe it's just extra-tight this weekend...
Old 07-05-2004, 12:17 AM

Have I run into any of you yet? I have the same name on UB, MercTec. I generally just play in the 5s and 10s.
Old 07-05-2004, 01:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If that's true, then I'm depositing on ub tomorrow. You can practically fold your way into the money

[/ QUOTE ]

if you want to try this strategy then good luck to you.
i have done okay so far but overall i find these SNG's to be pretty tough and it is still debateable whether or not i will keep plugging away on the mth.

i played a $20 6-max today...and on our 171st hand we still had 4 players left. a couple of us sucked out when we needed to and stayed alive....but the competition was pretty impressive.

i can't get anywhere in the $20 SNG's but i have also taken a disproportionate number of tough beats.
i've done pretty well on the $10 6-maxes...but have gotten some lucky breaks there.
i've cleaned up on the handful of $5 SNG's i've played (both 6-player and 10)

i'm really enjoying playing these...but the competition is tough and i'm not as profitable as i would like.
getting the bonus-dollars helps of course....but i need to make money on the SNG's themselves to make it worthwhile.

i was concerned the competition would be too tough to make this a worthwhile usage of my time.....and so far it appears that i may, unfortunately, be correct.
i'm not giving up on it yet though because i'm having too much fun with it.
Old 07-05-2004, 03:07 AM

I'm in a $10 6-max right now. We're 140 hands in, and there's still 4 players. This is NOT soft poker. Average stack of just 10 big blinds. This is fairly typical of the games that I've been in.

And... I decided that I'm not good enough to beat the $10 yet. I'm getting killed. I can do fairly well when it gets down to 3-handed and I have a stack, but with so many people staying alive for so long, the blinds get to the point where each hand is nearly an all-in gamble. I had a string of 3 firsts and a 2nd in five games, followed shortly by five bubbles in a row.

3/3/6/9/7/11/3/2/0/1, first place to 10th. So it's easy to survive the first few people, but I can't beat this game after that. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-05-2004, 03:17 AM

So are people playing a lot of the 6 handed SNG rather than the 10 handed? I can see that people trying to max out the bonus dollars might try that since the 6 handed likely are done faster. Anyone play a lot of both who can compare and contrast. I'm strictly a 10 person SNG myself.
Old 07-05-2004, 03:27 AM

haha man I'm so glad I managed to score a couple 6-player SNG wins before I cashed out of there about 3 weeks ago. It is BRUTAL poker after the LAGs get culled out early.

Y'all have fun, now.