Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2004, 02:08 PM

Default LOL!

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-02-2004, 02:08 PM

Default Re: Hand to Talk About

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think theres any point in this hand where you can fold.

[/ QUOTE ]
Preflop!
Old 07-02-2004, 02:11 PM

My question is:If the flop raiser wasn't all in,but he had a full bankroll would you still call the turn?
Old 07-02-2004, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
openraising 2 off the button w/ QTo is just a little too loose and a little too aggressive for my tastes.

[/ QUOTE ]

i believe Master Mason has broke away from the restriction of traditional tight-aggressive style and entered the higher poker realization of "Variably Accurately Selective - Adjusted Precisely Aggressive" [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-02-2004, 02:23 PM

Hi Mason,

i like the turn c/r... but do you think it's possible to try c/r the river again, since the button might be on a busted draw and decide to bluff.

Kenny
Old 07-02-2004, 02:35 PM

This is an interesting hand, I hope you'll explain the thought process behind the turn CR. Frankly, I don't get it.

Play until the turn seems fairly straightforward. You're hoping to pick up the blinds with a marginal hand, but instead you get called in three spots. You can't be too thrilled with your situation...

...But then the flop hits you nicely and you're probably ahead. Betting is clearly warranted, and I'd have considered 3-betting the flop (though I probably would have flat called since I'd rather leave the on the flop raiser with a few chips for a potentially tough decision on the turn.)

The turn A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (overcard) isn't good for you. When it's bet ($40) and called to you, I'd have just called. What does your raise accomplish? Maybe you fold JJ. Maybe you fold KQ. But any ace or flush draw is likely to stick around, so it seems to me you're just adding money to the pot when you may have the worst of it (especially since the button's most likely flush draws include the A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], so he might now have top pair AND a flush draw). Yes, I'd have expected the button to raise if he held an ace, but am I sure enough to risk a 3-bet? Nope.

What's more, if the button 3-bets, you're faced with a very tough decision and may have to fold. Also, your turn raise probably doesn't buy a free showdown, since you're out of position and a river check might induce a bet, confronting you with a tough decision. Of course, it all becomes moot when perhaps the best card in the deck hits on the river, leaving you with almost certainly the best hand.

Still, I think call the turn partial bet and check-call the river (if a blank hits...of course you bet when the T hits) would have been the better line. But...what do I know? Look forward to hearing your thoughts more fully.
Old 07-02-2004, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Mason,

i like the turn c/r... but do you think it's possible to try c/r the river again, since the button might be on a busted draw and decide to bluff.

Kenny

[/ QUOTE ]

Side pot is too small for that.
Old 07-02-2004, 05:13 PM

I like the turn checkraise to build the side pot, since the button is likely drawing, and you want to see a showdown. Also, I'm guessing you didn't 3-bet the flop to set up this exact play.

I think it's a play that's easy to dissect afterward, but requires some creativity to use while playing.
Old 07-02-2004, 05:16 PM

Considering the cutoff has only $40 left after his flop raise, I think a flop 3 bet is mandatory if you were willing to bet $60 on the side with the button even after a bad card peeled off. The small piece of extra info you get when the button just calls the all-in does not make up for the combination of the cutoff not going all in on the turn (a disaster when you have the best hand and the button would have folded) or the button raising the all-in with a hand you can beat.

It seems to me that the decision to 3 bet the flop or not comes down to:

Is extra info gained by what button does after cutoff goes all in on turn > chance that cutoff does not go all in on turn + chance that button raises the all-in with a hand you can beat ?

If I am missing an important aspect, please point it out.
Old 07-02-2004, 05:41 PM

Perfectly played.