Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2004, 07:36 AM

Default Re: You call this Pink\'s?!?!

im glad im sitting up at 430 playing 1-2 on paradise so i can field this question.

you guys are making too much of an issue over this bun scandal. i promise you the buns microed for 5 seconds or whatever make no difference whatsoever. it's still a great dog. did you have one yet rick??
Old 07-04-2004, 02:12 PM

actually went right to bed after my goofy series of posts last night, read a bit of a novel before nodding off (notice how early i'm up again - five hours is all i can sleep).

anyway i've had both a polish (not sure whether it was spicy or mild, hero delivered it to the table) and a regular dog at hollywood park and many years ago when i more often made it up to the city of la i tried a pink's (probably a regular) at the original location knowing beforehand it was an institution of sorts. those dog/pizza/burger stands that stay open late at night are best known for the atmosphere in my opinion. in other words, i'm not sure a pink's eaten in a generic mall court would be that big a deal.

for example, if you ever make it to providence rhode island and already made it to a ny system weiner joint (you could never get a weiner in a mall) and are up clubbing (not poker clubbing) and it is about 2:30 am and you naturally are hungry, still a little too drunk to drive, and need just a little more of that "late night renaissance city stimulation" you need to check out haven brothers. they have great dogs too but the neatest thing is they serve a burger from special order to your hands in about 30 seconds (verify with john cole on other topics) the grill is so hot and they put it together and wrap so fast plus you have every weird late night type in the world hanging out but it's all pretty safe the point i'm making is that the ambiance is a big part of the experience.

here is a link to a pretty good story on haven brothers and while i'm at it here is another link.

btw, that roadfood.com web site might be a good site to bookmark for future reference, the book "roadfood" was a big seller years ago before the web became a better reference for that kind of thing.

~ rick

ps i'm trying to get over the guilt i have not using the shift key for caps but i must admit it is faster so i may stick with it but will it make me cool too?
Old 07-07-2004, 09:46 AM

"microwave the dinner rolls which IMO is about the worse thing you can do to bread"

Wad up a paper towel, make it damp, then microwave the roll or bread with the towel in there as well (no dripping, please!)
You can thank me after you try it
Old 07-02-2004, 02:18 PM

My one visit to Pink's was among the highlights of my stay in SoCal. Of course, it came after a >$500 bar tab at the Dresden for the 5 of us (with one designated driver!), so I could have been eating leather for all I knew. My fuzzy memory tells me that the hot dogs ruled!
Old 07-04-2004, 06:09 AM

If you like hot dogs, try Top Dog in the Berkeley area. Almost everyone I know think this is the best hot dog they have ever eaten. Pink's is good too, but you also can't forget the heart attack-inducing bacon wrapped hotdogs they sell in LA outside of clubs around 1-3am.

DN
Old 07-04-2004, 06:41 AM

If you want a heart attack try Pink's double poli-bacon chilicheeseburger.
Old 07-04-2004, 07:39 AM

there is a lot of important hot dog talk going on on here right now so im glad im able to read it all...

i will definitely try this top dog place in berkeley in august when im up there.
Old 07-06-2004, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i will definitely try this top dog place in berkeley in august when im up there.

[/ QUOTE ]

August, Berkeley? How have I not heard of this, punk?
Old 07-06-2004, 01:12 PM

cause ill be with my woman and aint no way im playing no poker. ill come up and do that some other time. frankly i like it better when you guys come down here, the games are much better down here.
Old 07-05-2004, 08:58 AM

OK, guys. Between a couple of 10-20NL sessions, we headed to the Good Luck for a few hours. Good times. Good drinks. I had mainly Ketel & Sodas and Maker's Manhattans Rocks and some other stuff. Almost had an old-fashioned, but didn't. Then we headed to Pink's on LaBrea. I was drunk and tired but remembered a few things from these threads "Spicy Polish" "Guacamole" well, that's really all I remembered. I also remembered "kraut" but then I forgot. Also, there was too much stuff on the menu. So I tried to find a special that matched and went w/ the OZZY OSBOURNE DOG - Spicy Polish dog, nacho cheese, American cheese, grilled onions, guacamole & chopped tomatoes. I was going to add kraut, but forgot. Oh well. Anyway, what do you think, mike - did I make an OK choice? It was pretty good, but I was pretty drunk, so who knows. Also, the onion rings ruled. Then we went back to Commerce and I doubled up. Olé!!!!!!!!!!!