Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2004, 08:07 PM

Default Re: Buying a laptop- any recommendations?

[ QUOTE ]
Sometimes the comp gets hot with 8 tables so I have a fan that blows on it next to me, but it can handle 4 tables without it.

[/ QUOTE ]

playing 4 more tables isn't going to make your computer hotter
Old 06-25-2004, 08:28 PM

I just got a Dell 5150 from their refurbished outlet too and I love it. With its 1600x1200 resolution I can play four tables without overlap! It's hard to get that resolution (UXGA) though - mine was the only one I could find at the time and the new models don't seem to offer it.

Mike
Old 06-25-2004, 09:53 PM

i also got the inspiron-5100 with 1600x1200. 15.4" screen with that kind of resolution works fine for me.

i asked for suggestions on this forum in december and january under 'new laptop' and 'new laptop redux' threads (might have used handle 'microboy' instead of 'microbob' then).

it's a decent computer for the money but is definately fairly heavy and clunky.

i easily 4-table from anywhere (including down the street at the local wireless coffee place)
....or can 8-table when at my desk hooking up my extra monitor.

i have no idea if it will slow-down for whatever other video-games you might want to play.

those vaio things DO look pretty cool though so i might invest in one of those toys if/when i get a ton of spare dough lying around.

regarding the heat from these things....in a different thread, someone told me to get a laptop cooler thingee at a comp-usa.
makes it generally more comfortable, and certainly helps save the mother-board from frying.

anyway, there's a company called avtec (i think) that makes them....and there are others.
it's just a flat leather-ish type of mat you place under the laptop. plug it into one of the USB's, and little, silent fans blow from underneath to keep it cool.

it only costs $20 or so. just go to a Comp-USA and ask if they have have a lap-top cooler thingee.

the difference on my laptop is VERY noticeable.
much cooler. and much much better for your computer.

i used to travel with my old laptop and sometimes had to set it up outdoors in 90-degree+ weather (summers in florida)...not surprisingly, the computer started fritzing out after a couple of years of that kind of abuse.
Old 06-26-2004, 03:44 AM

I was playing 47 tables at once on my laptop and sumbitch just blew up. 3rd degree burns all over my lap. Lucky i was wearing my depend adult diaper no vitals were injured.

No time for bathroom breaks with that much action goin.

MRV [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]