Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2004, 10:11 PM

Default Re: $60k in 60 days -- Days 40 & 41

I reset about every 2-3 weeks.This is after one or two days where my cycle has gone so awry that I'm waking up at 3pm/4pm in the afternoon.This happens because I regularly will stay up later and later as the cycle progresses.I start out going to bed at say 3am which slowly evolves to 6am,8am etc.fuggin vampire hours
Only way to reset is to stay up the next day 30 hours.But even when you reset the following few nite's sleep is often not good.
Old 06-23-2004, 10:31 PM

ya I hear you.
Old 06-23-2004, 10:37 PM

i read this or a similar study awhile ago. except i remember it as being exactly a 25-hour day for the subjects.
they were just told to go to bed and wake-up whenever it felt comfortable for them....not to try to stay up late or get up early, or try to figure out what time it was, etc..

they would consistently stay up 1 hour later and go to bed 1 hour later each day. there would be a guard at the door who would take their order for meals. frequently, the subjects were ordering breakfast food after having just woken up even though it was 8 p.m. or something.

the guards had to keep incredibly irregular schedules as well so as to prevent the subjects from determining the 'real' time (if they all had 6 or 8 hour shifts it would get to be prety obvious).

they would be delivered newspapers or magazines as was their preference.....and also could watch various TV programs that would be taped.

one guy said he had no idea most of the time....but one of the guards was there totally hung-over one time and the subject was able to determine that it was definately early morning because that guy was coming off a pretty rough night.

one guy lasted as long as 6 months in the window-less environment...but most of the subjects were sick of it after a month like jason said.
Old 06-23-2004, 10:39 PM

Yea, I remember learning about this in psychology class. I forgot the exact term for it though, but it was a 25 hour cycle. Interesting stuff.

Ponks
Old 06-23-2004, 10:54 PM

I'm the same way, but I work regular daylight hours, and often get in trouble for being late. No matter how tired I am, I can't sleep until 2 a.m. or later...sometimes much later. Then on Saturday I catch up a bit by sleeping till noon. But not enough.

One of the big attractions of poker as a lifestyle if I could get that reliably good would be control over my sleeping habits so I wouldn't be so exhausted all the time. Except when I'm perky as hell, around 8 p.m. to midnight. :P
Old 06-23-2004, 11:48 PM

In non-sleep news, thanks for continuing this journal, Schneids. I really enjoy seeing what others are up to, and it also serves as a motivator for me. It's hard for me to sit at the tables when I'm losing, and to play again the day after a big loss.

I have no poker advice. =)

In sleep-news, I prefer 25 or 26 hour days, but I have a day job and they frown on not showing up at the 'right' hours.
Old 06-24-2004, 08:21 AM

Hello again Schneids. Look at this:

30+
31-
32+
33-
34+
35-
36+
37-
38-
39+
40-
41+

I didn't bother looking further back than day 30.(Mulligan and all that).

It may be nothing OR it may be a sharper/looser 2 day psychological cycle, i.e.: You lose one day, play sharper make $, relax and loosen next day lose $, etc.

Only you can tell for sure. I know I would look into it if someone pointed it out at me.

Thanks again for writing these updates and thanks for the tips.
Old 06-24-2004, 04:01 PM

In reference to sleep -

I find that poker screws up my sleep because of the adrenaline that gets pumping from playing.

Let's face it - its a powerful rush - and trying to go to sleep right after a night of playing is hard for a lot of people. This might have a bigger impact that 26hr cycle etc. Just a thought.

Take a look at "signs that you are playing too much" - not that there is anything wrong with it.
[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sam
Old 06-24-2004, 04:11 PM

I've kinda noticed this too, although with the writing. Whenever Scheids says he doesn't really feel like playing, or he's not feeling well, or he's really tired, I always see it followed by and I was down $600 for the session in the first 30 mins or something. Sorry for the run-on sentence.

Ponks
Old 06-24-2004, 04:54 PM

Reset day really sucks though. Its the only way to do it. A regular schedule doesn't work for a poker player.