Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2004, 02:52 PM

Default Re: Hellmuth\'s new book

[ QUOTE ]
Hi deacsoft:

Well, let's say I was half joking. It's our policy to hold authors on these forums to a higher standard. With that in mind, I'm not interested in promoting a book by an someone whose advice I consider to be very questionable at best. However, if someone wants to discuss anything written by Helmuth that's fine, and in their opinion they think the material is great, that's fine too.

In Ed Miller's case, I know the advice is quite good.

Best wishes,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not interested in promoting what I can't read with my own self if I'm not in cahoots with whomever would be the beneficiary of such conduct that I'm set to perform wherever or whenever or whomever, for that matter, the case may represent.
Old 06-23-2004, 05:28 AM

Hellmuth's "Play Poker Like the Pros" was the first poker book I purchased. After buying and reading maybe a dozen more books since then, "Play Poker Like the Pros" is now at the very bottom of my list as far as quality of advice goes. Just my opinion.
Old 06-23-2004, 09:35 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

My reference was because Ed mentioned almost verbatim the same amount of info about the book as this poster. Though in a little different context. Whether he read Ed's post where he mentioned it or not, who knows. But it's basically the exact same description.

That said, i dont see this poster knowing anything extra except he's taking/echoing what Ed mentioned about the book and posed it as a question.

b
Old 06-23-2004, 06:17 PM

It was probably the 5th (instructional) book i bought--after Theory of Polka, Sklansky's 2 HE books, Psych of Polka, and Caro's Fundamental.... For me, Hellmuth's writing made many of the ideas from the previous books finally sensible somehow. I'm assuming from the overabundance of "dissing" giving to Play Polka Lick the Pros gets on these forums that i'm more of a novice than i had hoped.

I honestly hope to catch up to you all in understanding the poorness of Phil's advices.
Old 06-23-2004, 07:26 PM

Are thsoe books restricted to just "The Beer Barrel Polka" or do they cover other Polka's as well?
Old 06-24-2004, 02:27 PM

all kinds of polka, man, all kinds!
Old 06-25-2004, 12:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like you already know a lot about this book and are perhaps looking to plug it.

MM

[/ QUOTE ]

lol...I've seen you say this multiple times to people(and you're always the first reply in the thread...Are you really that paranoid that people are using this site to promote their products?
Old 07-27-2004, 04:35 PM

I would like to know what happened to "Poker Brat" that Andy Glazer had been working on.

Phil's book was absolutely perfect for me when I bought. I don't think some of the other books I read would have made much sense to me. At the time, I really liked that he didnt get into odds. I was mostly playing NL SnGs, and his simple approach was great for getting through the first few levels.

His Omaha chapter also got me playing and winning right away.
Old 07-27-2004, 05:00 PM

I think as a newbie book goes, it's great. It introduces people to all different kind of games, and advises a tight aggressive approach. Also, it talks about how you have to adjust your play to different types of players. It's a great book for new players, but pretty bad for people that already know how to play well! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-27-2004, 05:32 PM

I am not qualified to pass on Hellmuth's advice and haven't seen the new book. I will not buy it, but I might peruse it an B&N. I'll definitely buy Ed's book.

That being said it seems to me that Phil Helmuth has in the words of Jim Rome: "Scoreboard, Baby!" And I doubt most of the people who bash him are 1/4 as accomplished.