Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2004, 03:52 PM

Default Re: Think I Royally Misread This??

[ QUOTE ]
I think it is unlikely he is bluffing, but there is a greater than 25% chance he thinks his lower pocket pair is good.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's where knowing something about him would really help, but the more i think about it the more i agree that, at these stakes anyway, i need to go ahead and pay off the better hands that check-raise the turn there. it just doesn't feel very good to me to reraise a check-raise with only a pair, and it didnt seem like he would be in a hurry to get allin with only a pair. folding doesn't feel good either though.

[ QUOTE ]
the only way the river fold is good is if you realized the turn call was a horrendous mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

i still like my river play better than my turn play. obviously both were very problematic for me and that's why i posted the hand.

[ QUOTE ]
I am saying this because there is no hand that I would check raise the turn and then check the river with. It's just not something you see very often.

[/ QUOTE ]

.25 BB you see all kinds of things that you don't see very often. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
so anytime you call a check raise on the turn, think ahead to the river as to what your opponent is probably going to do. after a BB turn checkraise, the answer is almost always put you allin.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, for some reason i really thought there was a good chance he'd back off on the river once i proved to him that i had a hand. you're generally right though.

[ QUOTE ]
personally, if I called the turn my chips are going in, because I don't understand changing your read after no scare card hits and he does what 90% of all turn checkraisers are going to do every single time.

[/ QUOTE ]

yep, that's the key point. on the turn i just couldn't fold my aces, and on the river i just couldn't call with them. i think my main problem was that his checkraise shocked me, and i just wasn't prepared for that scenario.

so after all this discussion, what's the best turn play against a random .25 BB player in that spot? push, call with the intention of getting allin on the river, or fold? im leaning toward pushing unhappily.

as for your question about when is the river an autocall, in this situation it never is, because it wasn't an autocall with $10 left and if i'd had like $5 left it would have gone in on the turn.
Old 06-16-2004, 04:24 PM

all in on the turn a horrible option. if hes bluffing or betting a hand you can beat, you want him to bet the river also. all pushing does here is fold out hands you want to stay in (most times hes not drawing here) reply if you want a better explanation, im running out of the house at the moment.

oh yea, raise more flop

GL
Old 06-16-2004, 05:22 PM

the chances of him checkraising on a bluff and then bluffing $10 into a $26 pot on the river in this sort of game seem very remote. it's more likely that he is drawing to a hand that can beat me (backdoor flush, straight, 2 pair, trips) than it is he's completely bluffing and will fold to a reraise.