Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2004, 11:44 AM

Default Re: Bad Run

I got on a bad run over the Memorial Day weekend, a 127 big bet bad run. As my losses mounted I got frustrated. Then my discipline eroded, and my play deteriorated. Looking back through Poker Tracker I find my overall play was good, but that I was tilting and those tilts cost me a lot. I'm taking a month off and reading and re-reading a lot of S&M books, along with Zen, and Lee Jones. I hope to find a way to divorce my emotions from the game. Thanks for letting me express this.
Old 06-16-2004, 01:30 PM

You won't be able to divorce your emotions; but you should be able to mitigate their negative effects. Mostly anyway. In this case you may not be able to stop from tilting but you CAN quit when losing a lot.

For reasonably competant players, how you handle these losses determines long term success of failure.

- Louie
Old 06-16-2004, 05:15 PM

I'd like to thank everyone for their advice. I booked a win last night ands am feeling much better (I even went one and one with pocket Aces).

Thanks for the encouragement, deep down I think I knew what all of you told me, but it does a world of good to hear it being reinforced by people who know how to play.

I hadn't thought about Sherri Ramos from high school in quite a while either. That was kind of refreshing.

-PG
Old 06-16-2004, 06:05 PM

Default I am a newb to this site...

Hi all, i am new to the site, but have been on stars for a few months, my early days were marked by winning 3 Wsop satelites, the 650's, and a few other small games.

I have been on a bad run myself. It ended today though. I just got rivered over and over and over, i knew it wasnt ME, i was always in with the better hand. I took a break, i went on vacation, I went to the beach, had a lot of fun, forgot about all my bad beats, put poker back in its place as a game.Plus i read up a few books. I would suggest this to anyone who, has been on a bad run.

Louie was right, we play worse if we think our "LUCK IS AGAINST US". We tend to make despiration calls and push when we know we shouldnt. So poker, i would take a vacation for a while, that is the best thing to do. If anyone has somthing to add or subtract from my post, please do, i would welcome your help.

Thanks, Joe
Old 06-16-2004, 08:40 PM

You have gotten some good responses. One thing you should consider is playing shorter sessions. If you are having problem with your discipline that will help it not come under attack.
Old 06-16-2004, 11:54 PM

1-One of the things I do is to change my table. no matter how good you are,if you are running bad players start taking bites at you. so change the table and start fresh.
2-I remmber when I used to have that paoblem too..but belive me this for your own good...in these times hopfully you will re-examine you approch to the game and try to fix your leaks.
after all "the higher the standard deviation" and there will be more times you will see this happen again and again.
good luck all [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]