Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2004, 05:22 PM

Default Re: Stealing the blinds with a mediocre hand

[ QUOTE ]
You probably saw how the SB was playing, and also saw that he was loose. I often run into those at the $5+.50 tourneys, but end up kicking myself for playing since I almost always lose to chasers in those.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why I pushed after the check-raise. He could easily be doing this with
K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]x - J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]x. I don't want to let him see the turn-river easily.

[ QUOTE ]
I just steal less in the loose games.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd like to hear more about this.
When you steal the blinds, what sort of hands do you do it with? Or is it more player/position dependent, regardless of the cards in your hand?
Old 06-11-2004, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You played it out poorly because you didn't read right away with the re-raises that he had at least one very high spade. I would have dumped and tried to at least sail into 4th where you win at least your entry fee back.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, no offense, man, but I call bullsh*t. First of all, on your assertion that you would have folded it. Second, on your advice of folding a flopped 4th nut flush heads up to a mini-raise from a SB coldcaller. This would be a terrible decision.

I understand the basics of bubble play and I know that there are special considerations when you have a chance to fold into the money, but a flopped flush heads up is not one of them.
Old 06-12-2004, 09:33 AM

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd like to hear more about this.
When you steal the blinds, what sort of hands do you do it with? Or is it more player/position dependent, regardless of the cards in your hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, not to sound too obvious, but generally the tighter the game(and the tighter I appear) to easier it is to steal the blinds. And yes, it is mostly based on position. I tend to steal more from the button than SB, but there will be the occasional stab from somewhere in the middle. Never UTG or UTG+1. I also tend not to steal blinds unless it's towards the end of the game; there really is no need at the small levels as you'get called more often.

Plus, try not to show your hands. Keep you bets to be genereally the same. Of course, if your intention is to steal, does it really matter what cards you hold? It's also good to "feel" out the table early, to see if you might have some takers for a potentially large pot if you hit--like the hand you were describing. Like I said before, and most others, you just got exceedingly lucky, than unlucky during the flush hand...
Old 06-12-2004, 07:37 PM

i agree one hundred percent and for anyone to say you should fold here is crazy. for one thing there is an A on board and since players will play any ace why cant the opponent have just two pair? That is more likely than a flush.

Pat
Old 06-12-2004, 10:47 PM

I guess I"m the only one that doesn't like the raise preflop. When you raise from EP with 2 suited cards both less than 10, you run a decent risk that you get called by 2 overcards of the same suit. And if two or three of those flop, then you're in deep deep trouble.

I'd wait for better position to make a stab at the blinds.
Old 06-12-2004, 11:37 PM

on pStars 4th = $0 . Got to be 3rd of 9 players
Old 06-13-2004, 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess I"m the only one that doesn't like the raise preflop. When you raise from EP with 2 suited cards both less than 10, you run a decent risk that you get called by 2 overcards of the same suit. And if two or three of those flop, then you're in deep deep trouble.

I'd wait for better position to make a stab at the blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed, to me a blind steal is a semi-bluff unless you are against total rocks. you want to be able to hold your own if they decide to call and see the flop.

also is a raise in MP with 8Ts really a blind steal? not a good idea with CO and BUTTON still to act.

i guess im staying this wasn't a great blind steal but your play post-flop was inevitable. just bad luck.
Old 06-13-2004, 02:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with ya here. I find when I take shots w/T8s this far off the button, I'm often stuck semi-bluffing my way out on the flop, sometimes w/out position. Your chip position is hardly dire, and there's no ante, so you can afford to tighten up and muck this. There will be better spots.

And I think that everyone telling you to fold this post flop should impart a valuable lesson to you. Don't put the results in the post [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-13-2004, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Someday I hope I could have the dicipline to fold to the re-raise from the SB,

[/ QUOTE ]

If I ever fold a flopped flush to a check-min-raise, call the guys in the white coats to come get me.

[/ QUOTE ]

To clarify: Someday I hope I could have the zen-like, superhuman, "I'm cooler than Neo in the matrix", ability to recognise when I have flopped the second best flush and make a correct fold each and every time... Being somewhat below that level of accomplishment, I'm pushing/check-pushing/calling every damn time...

Trying to get better one hand at a time. Peace, Ritter