Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2004, 03:15 PM

Default Re: AQs in BB - tell me what to do

After checking the flop... All-in. I agree I don't think it's that close a decision.

Without the intention of checkraising (say if the preflop raiser usually bet the flop if checked around), or even check-calling to trap, I guess I'm not sure why one would do that. I would think I'm way ahead most times (this is such a perfect flop).

If this was the kind of flop I wouldn't love in early position with AQ (which seems to be the case with you), I would probably not call pre-flop. Flopping TPTK on an uncoordinated board is hard enough to do - so if your threshold on a shorter stack is 2 pair or trips to be comfortable with the hand, I just wouldn't get involved.

Flop - I'd bet this flop most of the times and be prepared to go all the way with the hand unless I had strong reason to believe someone had a set.

Pre-flop - I'm not sure on this one, but I think the call is OK.
Old 06-11-2004, 03:23 PM

I'd push here. This is probably the best flop you could have asked for other than KJT rainbow, and you very well may have the best hand.

I like the call before the flop. If you hit a good flop, you can pick up a lot of chips. I don't favor re-raising before the flop, unless you think you can pick it up right there by doing so. With AQ (suited or not), I'd much rather see the flop rather than shove it in, especially being new to a table and not knowing how people play.
Old 06-11-2004, 03:35 PM

Thanks for all of the replies. This tournament was actually my first live tournament where I got to play some real poker. I played in another live tournament with unlimited rebuys for the first 2 hours. It was all about luck and I hated it.

I ended up doing exactly what everyone said. I pushed the rest of my chips in with a sinking feeling that he had kings or aces. I wish I could have been at the table longer to get a better read on the guy, but I wasn't able to. He called immediately and flipped over KK. Turn and river were blanks and I was out.
Old 06-11-2004, 04:04 PM

I think you need to push or fold pre flop (I don't like stop and gos with hands like AQ). Although its a smallish raise, its very likely MP has a good hand, as he is making a raise after two EP limpers. This would lead me to an easy fold if the payout structure is flat (or if its a bubble situation). But if you need to climb up a lot in chips to make a run at any real money, I say push preflop and hope you win a 50/50 or suck out on him.