Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2004, 04:38 PM

Default Re: HU against the blinds - strategy discussion

I usually by default bet out here until my opponents figure out what is going on and start check raising me-- once that happens I throw in some randomness. I do not bet every time by default, though, because I don't want my opponent to clue in to the fact that I am betting every time if I can help it. I check my garbage and my big hands maybe 10-20% of the time, enough so that I am betting a lot but not always. If my opponents start to figure out what is going on and start check raising, I start checking my garbage more often and betting my monsters until the check raises slow down in frequency. There is no set strategy in these situations, not even against the same opponents during the same session. A good opponent will slide his play one direction to take advantage of a weakness and you must counter adjust to stay one step ahead. Always doing a certain move in poker is suicide.
Old 06-09-2004, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How often do you bet/check?

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet more than I check, but depending on the board, I'll often check. If it's a good semi-bluffing board and I have less than Ace-high, I will often check.

[ QUOTE ]
What if you have an Ace?

[/ QUOTE ]

It'll either make me more likely to check or more likely to bet depending on the opponent.

[ QUOTE ]
How does your turn action influence your river action?

[/ QUOTE ]

Against some players, an Ace-high turn check goes hand-in-hand w/ a river auto-call. Against others, I've made up my mind on the flop that if they call there, I'm folding unimproved.
Old 06-09-2004, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm firing until the BB makes me stop with any two cards here, because that's what position is for.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is one of the most common and biggest mistakes many players make.
Old 06-09-2004, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

1. 3-BET
2. ???
3. PROFIT!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ask the gnomes. They know.
Old 06-09-2004, 01:45 PM

Good response. In essence, this topic could compile 2 chapters of a book and really is too complex to discuss in just one post. Suffice it to say that most players would be better off checking more than they do, especially on the turn, but on the flop also.
Old 06-09-2004, 01:52 PM

agreed. It took me a while to realize this in my own play, I kept thinking, how could they call me with 38 on a 3599J board when I am betting the whole way?

It is a tricky situation. Sometimes I bet the turn with A high unimproved b/c the guy didn't CR me on the flop meaning he hasn't paired yet so I am ahead. Other times once he calls my flop bet, I am done unless I improve.

Very dependent upon the player you are up against.
Old 06-09-2004, 02:33 PM

Actually, that's what check-raises are for.

I'm losing a lot of money in this spot.

BBs are check-raising the turn alot, especially on semi-coordinated boards, and I will sometimes three-bet the turn then check-behind with AK unimproved against very aggressive players.

I'm facing a turn check-raise from aggressive players while holding overcards on 8-high and 9 high boards, and these decisions are really causing a lot of grief.
Old 06-09-2004, 02:44 PM

Rigoletto,

interesting post and good questions. first, before i venture a guess, i'd think that the autobet on the flop assumed here isn't always the best way to go about it. but the discussion at hand is enough to be worthy of an entry in a volume in an encyclopedia so throwing in flop play is not gunna add as much as discussing the turn/river play here so kudos on not complicating things TOO much, although that would yeild a more comprehensive discussion...which is both good and bad.

[ QUOTE ]

The flop is all undercards, you bet and BB calls, the turn is another undercard with no improvement. BB checks, what now?

How often do you bet/check?

[/ QUOTE ]

personally i htink i check here moreso than the average stealer but bet a significant portion of the time...maybe 3:1 (25%) i check, which is more than most but less than some. i do this depending on the board etc. but notice i'm still betting a majority of the time due to the fact that i'll win here a good deal of the time and i'd want to prevent freebies to undercards to my cards or draws to crap.

[ QUOTE ]

What if you have an Ace?

[/ QUOTE ]

when i have an ace here i think my turn bets go up slightly but ever so slightly and actually DECREASE in frequency against an aggressiveplayer b/c he'd likely be trying the 'ol call, check call, check-raise, bet out resteal. OR he'd just bet if i checked on the river when i have ace high where he would have folded to a bet on the turn. this gives him a chance to catch a few outs id hate for him to catch, but earn me a bet on the river (against that player) where he normally would have just folded the turn (which i'd like anyway but gotta change it up from time to time). if he's likelyt o fold the turn i'm betting. PERIOD. i only do the above when i feel that the river bet from nothing is so likely that i'd like to give a bluff inducer with nut no pair a try. not optimal strategy sometimes, but makes money a good deal of the time.

[ QUOTE ]

How does your turn action influence your river action?

[/ QUOTE ]

as discussed above i'm likely calling a bet w/ a-high if i check the turn (virtually automatically) or checking behind...ifi bet the turn and am called and the river comes with no improvement for me thne i'm likely checking behind because i can't stand a c-r from a trickster (when i can win) and want to show down my hand for a decent chance at the pot...55% rule also comes into play but is mitigated by the %bluff is successful, though not entirely so...

anyways, it is a complicated issue and worthy of discussion...on to what others thought about it.
-Barron
Old 06-09-2004, 03:47 PM

Very simple solution for your problem. Check more.
Old 06-10-2004, 01:33 AM

I felt the same way until looking at my numbers in steal situations. It feels like I'm leaking chips here, but in fact, these have been very profitable.

When you get played with in these situations, you're going to be in trouble, there's no getting around it. You have random steal-worthy cards, your opponent has cards he defends with + hit the board in some manner. But ideally, you're gaining enough those times when your opponent gives up to make up for the fact that you'll be showing down fewer winners.

BTW, Poker Tracker can really help you pick your spots as far as stealing goes, and give you a good line on how to play the hand as well.