Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2004, 07:02 PM

Default Re: Starting the \"suited connectors suck\" campaign........

You are officially invited to any game at any limit that I am playing, just give me a ring.

That advice is some of the worst I have ever heard.

If thats your style, more power to yah. But you will get spanked by Gomez's variance monster often and hard.
Old 06-05-2004, 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
judging from your river check holding 97 on a board of JJ77x after everyone kept checking and calling to you, you don't play well post-flop, so you DEFINITELY shouldn't be making these moves.

-EV is -EV, whether you do it occasionally or all the time. Raising 97s isn't in MP a good move unless you are against the tightest players.

you are overly cocky, you think you know it all, you come here, post a hand you botched terribly, then you start talking about how making these variance moves with medium 1 and 2 gaps is a smart play.

I'm really not trying to be a dick. when I came here I thought I was good. then I realized how crappy I was. hopefully you'll realize this too, because otherwise you're going to lose all your money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough. That's why I posted the hand. I am somewhat of a new player and am still learning; and I still have a lot to learn I know.

However, I still think that if you're a 30% favorite against what your opponants are holding but you're only putting 25% of the $$ into the pot preflop, it isn't necessarily a bad play. (or am I making a mistake in thinking that as well?) One other thing to consider - read Baldwin's section in Super/System. He mentions how in the right situation he'd cap with T9s or 98s, in addition to MP raises with suited connectors. It's where I got the idea to try it out.

Not to threadjack, but it seems to me there are at least 2 different schools of thought on HE. The one espoused by S&M relies more strenuously on mathematical precepts, while others I've read proscribe a more "fluid" approach, only relying on mathematical analysis for critical decisions. Am I right?
Old 06-05-2004, 07:06 PM

Sthief is 100% correct. I am a suited connector fan WITH position. Though i don't always raise )or three bet) in that situation.

Ohh I agree with Sthief also. just not his statement that they suck. I will play 98s and maybe even 87s from LMP at typical tables.
Old 06-05-2004, 07:11 PM

Default Re: to sublime

I'm glad my play left that lasting of an impression. I'm humbled.

The play I made with 98s is what Bobby B was talking about in S/S. I probably only do that though maybe 1 time in 30 thoughm and it is under the right conditions (like blowing off steam, lol)
Old 06-05-2004, 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
suited connectors are not profitable unless you play them in the right conditions. these are some of the important factors when considering playing a suited connector:

[/ QUOTE ]

Stheif I think you're like the mike l. of the small stakes forum, alternating seemingly at random between supertight and maniacal.

[ QUOTE ]
- you will have the button on all 3 streets

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, one or two off the button should suffice under many conditions, or maybe in MP in optimal conditions.

[ QUOTE ]
- the game isn't too aggressive

[/ QUOTE ]

True 'dat, but if there are a mix of hopeless calling stations amidst the aggros, I think the conditions for suited connectors are okay.

[ QUOTE ]
- it's not likely to get raised after you limp

[/ QUOTE ]

An overrated concern. Suited connectors typically have fair share against say 3 limping hands and one raising hand.

http://www.twodimes.net/poker/?g=h&b...+Kd%0D%0AJc+9c

[ QUOTE ]
- you are guaranteed a 5-6 way pot

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes and no ... you're more likely to win with say a pair of 7's in a smaller field. I see this as tied in to positional considerations, but I'll play any suited connector down to 54 or any suited one-gapper down to 75 if I have the Button and there's even *one* limper. I just really like the Button.

[ QUOTE ]
- your opponents play poorly post-flop

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't that a pretty safe assumption?

[ QUOTE ]
if you don't full all 5 requirements, you should seriously consider mucking.

[/ QUOTE ]

No you shouldn't. This is a more dynamic situation than you're making it out to be, and suited connectors have more pot equity than you're giving them credit for, even in relatively small fields.
Old 06-05-2004, 08:04 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

maybe I'm just pissed because I've lost so much money from them. in your full-table experience, do you turn a profit with them?

and yeah, I'm a person of extremes. I only played 6-max for a while, now I only play full. I randomly skip between limits. I started that OIC thing last week and then I gave up because I got bored of micro limits. I have strong opinions on things.

I don't like being indifferent. Suited connectors are one of those hands you should be indifferent to. If you love them (like I used to) you'll play them too much and lose money. if you hate them (like me), you'll probably fold them in spots where you could turn a profit from them. playing them too much loses a lot more money than mucking too much. I see a lot of hands where people get in trouble because they play suited connectors in difficult spots.

you're probably right that I'm too tight with them. but too tight is better than too loose with these hands if your judgment isn't that great, and my preflop judgment probably isn't as good as I like to think it is.
Old 06-05-2004, 08:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
maybe I'm just pissed because I've lost so much money from them. in your full-table experience, do you turn a profit with them?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't say for sure since I lost my pokertracker database when I switched computers ... other folks are more careful about their record-keeping and I'd be as curious as you are as to what their results have been.

I played suited connectors pretty liberally when I was doing the Pacific 15/30 thing; the games there, especially over the winter, were quite loose and pretty passive - probably not too different from a typical Party 2/4. You can't track hands anyway at that site but I had a hella win rate in that game with a somewhat loose preflop strategy.

I don't play them very often at all in Party 15/30, which is an aggressive, high-card oriented game.

[ QUOTE ]
and yeah, I'm a person of extremes. I only played 6-max for a while, now I only play full. I randomly skip between limits. I started that OIC thing last week and then I gave up because I got bored of micro limits. I have strong opinions on things.

[/ QUOTE ]

I once had an athropology professor tell my class that he liked ambiguity. Guess which paper I was writing whilst stoned...

[ QUOTE ]
you're probably right that I'm too tight with them. but too tight is better than too loose with these hands if your judgment isn't that great, and my preflop judgment probably isn't as good as I like to think it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a fair point. I'm sure that 90% poker players overrate their own abilities {Nate raises hand}. However, one thing about the suited connectors is that the postflop decisions they bring about are usually relatively straightforward - you have a hand or you don't; you either have the odds to continue with your hand or you don't - something like KTo probably requires better postflop judgement than something like 76s.