Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2004, 12:25 PM

Default Re: Was I wrong to slow play this?

Pair of Aces, worst bottom pair? Yeah, I think you were wrong to slowplay. If he's only going to call when he's beaten anyway, you gotta make him pay upfront or fold.

Do not slowplay on PP without the pure nuts. Half the time, not even then.

Recently in SnG, I got 99. Flop J99. I got re-raised all the way to the river. Nuff ced. Nobody is paying attention to _your_ hand. Just you.

Besides, in your hand, AK, AQ are not going to check, are they?

best, [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Naj
Old 06-04-2004, 01:24 PM

I would probably re-raise him all-in on the flop. If not the flop, definitely the turn. Don't get tricky at this point in the game. Wait until you are in the money, or have a stronger hand.
Old 06-04-2004, 01:32 PM

I actually like the flat call on the flop, particularly against an aggressive opponent who may take a shot at the pot here with middle pair or less. This gives him an opportunity to take a second shot at it on the turn. If I knew he had an ace, I would agree with other posters that flop aggression is correct (because he will often call my raise), but I think the small blind bets often enough without an ace here that I want to give him a chance to do it again.

You've got to get aggressive on the turn, especially when checked to. I would have made a pot sized turn bet expecting to pick up the pot, but not minding if I was called and certainly calling (expecting to be ahead) if he pushed. I would also call if my turn bet was called and he pushed on the river.
Old 06-04-2004, 02:13 PM

Slowplaying seems to be a 4-letter word in this forum. I'm with jn here. Flat call on the flop is fine and I'd probably bet the pot on the turn.

Even checking the turn for some deception isn't awful since it's not a very draw-laden board. Often this turn check will get a lot more out of him on the river (since he does have top pair). Unfortunately he hit his 3-outer here.