Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2004, 12:40 PM

Default Re: The UNABOMBER!?! Are you kidding me?

I believe that being PC is more along the lines of looking for a reason to be hacked off - no matter what the circumstance.

Again - I don't see how being concerned or considerate of other people's feelings is PC - it's just good manners - IMHO
Old 06-03-2004, 01:07 PM

Using the term "PC" is just a commonly accepted way to bitch-slap someone who's asking you to mind your manners.

It's entirely irrelevant to whether the request to mind your manners is reasonable. In any case, the next time you accuse someone of being PC, just remember what it's like when someone accused you of being PC when you thought you were making a reasonable request.

That really is the problem isn't it: It's always a reasonable request in the first person, and "PC" in the second or third person.
Old 06-03-2004, 01:10 PM

Phil did not make up the name, as far as I know. I have known him a long time and he has always worn that sweatshirt (well, possibly not the exact sweatshirt, although you never know). The name came much later, in fact back in the day his nickname was "Ultraman," which may have faded into obscurity.

The thing about these issues is that people who are offended assume that "most" people will feel the same way, and those who are not offended make the same assumption. I don't trust anyone to be truly objective about it. I do think that although the Unabomber was a crazy killer, comparisons to Hitler never prove anything, because no one is comparable to Hitler.
Old 06-03-2004, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
no one is comparable to Hitler.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow! Now there's a quote that looks pretty bad out of context. I really don't give a flying frick what Phil Laak does, but I do think the nickname is in poor taste. However, when I was a kid, America was a free country so let him do what he wants.
Old 06-03-2004, 01:16 PM

I completely agree with you. I'll be the first to admit that I can take life too seriously at times - I think we all do.

I was really just trying to make an observation that this may not be the best nickname for a network to promote.

The point that someone played with a family-member of a victim and they weren't bothered by it is well taken. Again - just making an observation.

Cheers,

twomarks
Old 06-03-2004, 07:36 PM

Usually people don't choose their own nicknames. It's not like you tell your friends to start calling you something 'cause you think it'll make you sound cooler. If you do, you're a tool.

GoT
Old 06-03-2004, 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Agreed. But I didn't see/hear him dissuading the inference, and I doubt it was said without his knowledge.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course not, it's been his nickname for quite a while now.

[ QUOTE ]

Also, wearing a hooded sweatshirt doesn't mean you have to wear the hood. Most don't, unless it's cold out. Yes, it's good for hiding yer eyes, etc., but I still think the inference was there by more than mere appearance.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you trying to say here? He got the nickname because he wore his hood + glasses like that.. not the other way around.
Old 06-03-2004, 10:43 PM

Default Hey, at least he\'s not the [insert stupid ethnic comparison] of poker

n/t
Old 06-03-2004, 11:00 PM

True. btw- call me T-bone from now on..
Old 06-04-2004, 12:11 AM

You look more like a monkey. We'll call you Koko.