Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2004, 08:33 AM

Default It appears no one is monitoring the cards at the WSOP

Remember the hand Lederer had last year at the WSOP where no one saw his hole cards, but he ended up winning the hand? It was one of the hands shown during the telecast. If they had someone monitoring the feed, they most likely would have told him the cameras didn't pick up his cards, and they'd like him to show them one more time.
Old 05-28-2004, 08:43 AM

Default Re: Cheating at the WSOP, Men at Foxwoods?

It seems Men the Master was actually rigging his own camera at foxwoods to slip under the table by each player. Unfortunately, while testing the cameras he started a fire and could not use them. Seems he blamed the fire on an electric burner he had in the room. This plan backfired though as he was then kicked out of the hotel for failing to follow the fire code......Who knows
Old 05-28-2004, 08:58 AM

Default Re: Cheating at the WSOP?

What happens if you don't oblige? I'd be pretty paranoia with a camera in my neck. They're not going to see my cards.

Peter
Old 05-28-2004, 10:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What happens if you don't oblige? I'd be pretty paranoia with a camera in my neck. They're not going to see my cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

ON the WPT you sign an agreement that you will show your cards. You can be disqualified if you don't comply.

I think I saw something similar in the huge disclaimer that I signed for the WSOP this year.

When I was in Vegas for satellites I attended the Wednesday poker meet-upand the media director for the WSOP and Linda from the WPT were the guest speakers. This issue came up.

They explained that there is now an extra "rabbit hole" camera by the dealer and, If you hide your cards from the camera behind you, the dealer is instructed to flash them in front of the Rabbit camera at the end of the hand.
Old 05-28-2004, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It seems Men the Master was actually rigging his own camera at foxwoods to slip under the table by each player. Unfortunately, while testing the cameras he started a fire and could not use them. Seems he blamed the fire on an electric burner he had in the room. This plan backfired though as he was then kicked out of the hotel for failing to follow the fire code......Who knows

[/ QUOTE ]

I heard this rumor was completely false, and Men the Master himself went on a well known forum or maybe even Cardplayer Magazine to debunk what had happened.

I think there WAS a fire in his hotel room, but other than that I don't know what happened.

And how would he use his camera against the other players anyways?
Old 05-28-2004, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Speaking of cheating at the WSOP, what about those two kings of diamonds being shown down on the same hand? There's got to be more to that story, but I haven't heard anything other than a very brief mention of it on a few sites' day one recaps.

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't heard any more details on this incident either, but what would be the cheating angle here? How would you get an advantage if you knew there was an extra Kd in the deck? Doesn't seem to me there's much to be gained, and I believe the hand is declared a misdeal if the discrepancy is discovered, e.g. on the showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who says it was in the deck to start? It could have been exchanged in that hand or an earlier one.

eastbay
Old 05-28-2004, 12:09 PM

Default Why do you think Annie Duke takes off her shoes?

The only person who has been known to cheat successfully at a game wired for video is Annie Duke. As there are multiple cameras (one for each player's hole cards), it takes a separate sensing device to detect and amplify the magnetic variations in the neighborhood of each cable. Remember also that magnetic waves decrease in proportion to distance cubed, so she has to place the shoe with the sensing and rebroadcasting device very close to the cable. In fact, much of the recent animosity on the pro tour can be traced back to an incident several years ago when Annie attempted to place one foot directly in Daniel Negreanu's lap during a large pot. Anyway, the toe-sized sensors detect the signal as a voltage variation in a 5mm coil, amplify it, and rebroadcast it at a different wavelength which is picked up by Annie's cell phone, which then modulates the signal onto a full-strenghth citizens-band carrier, which is picked up by a privately-leased downlink at downtown Las Vegas cell tower XAPi2004-j21. This is then retransmitted in 128-bit packets using TCP through a constantly changing randomly selected IP address published by hackers on the Yahoo name server as well as several backups, where any player who wishes can subscribe to the complete remultiplexed signal with American frame-speed and SMPTE timecode for $20,000 per tournament, which explains generally the success of Howard "Video Professor" Lederer.
Old 05-28-2004, 12:30 PM

Default Re: Why do you think Annie Duke takes off her shoes?

[ QUOTE ]
In fact, much of the recent animosity on the pro tour can be traced back to an incident several years ago when Annie attempted to place one foot directly in Daniel Negreanu's lap during a large pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is why all tech-savvy pros line their shorts with aluminum foil when playing. And remember, shiny side out!!
Old 05-28-2004, 12:48 PM

If I remember right, there was at least one hand, I think involving Lederer,during last years broadcast where his whole cards were not shown. I think they had question marks.
He won the pot with a flop bet so we never did see them.
Old 05-28-2004, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I heard this rumor was completely false, and Men the Master himself went on a well known forum or maybe even Cardplayer Magazine to debunk what had happened.

I think there WAS a fire in his hotel room, but other than that I don't know what happened.

And how would he use his camera against the other players anyways?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I was just kidding