Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2004, 03:29 AM

Default Re: artificial poker player

I am always aprehensive about reply ion any poker forum, especially this one. Dunno why, just am. So far as poker goes its like the more you spell the more you say.
Anyhow, the origianl comment made me want to reply.

This could be an interesting story or not. I am sorry if it messes anyone but consider it a newbie mistake.

I started playing for $ - 1 week ago. "Seriously" woo hoo. I was in @ .50/1 and was gonna make a couple grand to get started on my chopper.. Thats all I wanted was to earn enought to buy what I want at the time.. (sure that is everyone though). Any how, doesnt always go that way does it , or does it?
First few days I played 1600+ handd on the $50 before hotting what I would consider a 'bad run'. (or maybe i'm new?)
Anyhow, looking to repeat my previous 'pre-loss success' (i took my 50 up to 100 in a run of great cards and tight play on my part) i decided to donate another 50 to fishermen everywhere.

For an advantage to my already semi tight game where I saw 1600+ hands on my own I decided to invest in a certain texas holdem calculator... hey machines are smarter than people right>?

less than24rs and 160 hands later I was done. Balance $0.

Screw the pre-flop raise when you arent 90% sure its yours and all other lies this calculator tells you.

On the other hand, hey, maybe its been right all along and now is a bad period?

bullox.

Your insides know better ... always
Old 05-28-2004, 04:59 AM

This message board isn't a place for people to come and pick up scams and learn to cheat to pick up a few bucks.
Old 05-28-2004, 09:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
can anyone give me an advice if there is a common program that simulates a poker player and that keeps playin hands?

[/ QUOTE ]

common? no.

[ QUOTE ]
I thought about letting a program play hands at low limit holdem for me while im at work.

[/ QUOTE ]

bad idea, because...

[ QUOTE ]
I just wanted to know if the poker sites are able to detect this

[/ QUOTE ]

yes

[ QUOTE ]
and if such a program can beat an average low limit holdem table.

[/ QUOTE ]

there is no real proof that it is successful, and do you really want to waste time and money while you try to configure your bot to win, only to have the poker site shut you down and confiscate your money, just as you turn your bot into a winning player?
Old 05-28-2004, 11:32 AM

Guys, this schmuck isn't looking for a "bot" he can program with his own playing style and have it play for him, he's looking for a commercial package of some type that someone else has done all the work on, then you can just plug it in and it wins you money.

These posts are almost as common as the bad beat posts. They are always from people with 2 posts, which are duplicates of them asking in different forums for a bot.

Do they really think that the people on this forum who work long hours to get better at this game are just here to tell them the easy way to make money fast? No, they are here to tell them the hard way to make money slow!

I've actually sat down recently and thought about these stupid bots people want to buy. If you consider it in an economics way, IF someone ever made one that could even beat .5/1 successfully (means all factors considered, it beats the game and you get to keep the money), they would NEVER have an incentive to sell the product. This is because the optimal course of action for this person would be to constantly have 1 of these bots sitting at EVERY .5/1 (or every table up to the best level it can beat) table in existence. They would thereby make all the money available to the program, and not want to have the program playing against itself (game selection!). Also, clearly, this program would have to sell at a HUGE price. When you sell something, you try to price it at around the maximum people will be willing to pay for it. In this case, you should be willing to pay for it $.01 less than it will net you or so. (This is a bit ridiculous of course, but proves this point.) Clearly, if the program can make you X thousand dollars a year, you will be charged SIGNIFICANTLY over X thousand for the product.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble, I just always feel like kicking these people in the nuts.

citanul
Old 05-28-2004, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just always feel like kicking these people in the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too.
Old 05-28-2004, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
can anyone give me an advice if there is a common program that simulates a poker player and that keeps playin hands? I thought about letting a program play hands at low limit holdem for me while im at work.I just wanted to know if the poker sites are able to detect this and if such a program can beat an average low limit holdem table.

Any advice or link would be helpful

[/ QUOTE ]

I also had a question. Does anyone know of any common program that will just run on my computer and make money while I sleep/work etc...I would think if someone had access to this software they would want to give it to some guy who posted on an internet forum. I know this is a poker forum, but to be honest I don't care if this software is poker related. As long as I just install it and it generates free money for me that's fine.
One more thing- I'm a complete moron.
Old 05-28-2004, 02:47 PM

Remember about 7-8 years ago when a few companies started paying people money for downloading software that put an advertising banner on their desktop while they were online? (I wish I could remember specific programs) Within days of this concept coming out, people had written and distributed programs that simulated their being online and active and initially the advertising companies had no clue.

But it wasn't too long before the company caught on, and sure enough, thousands of users were kicked off the system for breaking the users agreement. So the answer is yes, online poker companies can certainly detect this sort of thing, and if there is a person out there who has figured out a way around it, I'm sure they aren't telling.

I won't even touch the ethical issue, because there is no debate here. Maybe they take the effort they put into trying to buck the system into learning how to play the game. Or wait... that's too much work. I forgot.
Old 05-28-2004, 03:00 PM

Default Any one remember \"Ghost Mouse\"?

A site had a slot machine game you played with play money. After a couple million "pulls" of the handle, you could cash in your play money for things like Free Rooms at the Golden Nugget, Free Buffets at the Bellagio, etc.

Enter "Ghost Mouse". A program that allowed you to "teach" to point and click at certain things on your computer at certain times, etc. Leave for work in the morning, Fire up "Ghost Mouse" to play the slot machine game internet site while I was gone, and a day or two later -- free room and board at the Bellagio -- without having to look at 6 months worth of pop-up advertising.

Needless to say, that site doesn't exist any more.
Old 05-28-2004, 03:12 PM

All advantage was the company. It was a huge bottom menu and you had to have it loaded while browsing the internet. 20 hours/month got you something like $25. Me and a friend made $50 each then they went bust.
Old 05-28-2004, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All advantage was the company. It was a huge bottom menu and you had to have it loaded while browsing the internet. 20 hours/month got you something like $25. Me and a friend made $50 each then they went bust.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, that's them. Of course, the point is that they did catch and remove (confiscating any accumulated account) people who cheated the system, and this kind of thing can be detected. As a matter of fact, the funny part of the story is that once people realized some people were bucking the system, everybody wanted to, and that's what really brought the company down.