Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2004, 07:41 AM

Default Re: Bad streak question - NOT a whining post

[ QUOTE ]
If you're losing 50 big bets you probably have several major leaks in your game

[/ QUOTE ]

Whenever I have a 50 BB losing streak, I find I have one major leak, people suck out on me repeatedly. What do you suggest for such a problem?
Old 05-25-2004, 10:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Whenever I have a 50 BB losing streak, I find I have one major leak, people suck out on me repeatedly. What do you suggest for such a problem?

[/ QUOTE ]

[turn on sarcasm detector]
You should raise in desperate attempts to knock out gutshot draws and 2 outers from small pots
[this concludes today's sarcasm]

Kenshin
Old 05-25-2004, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
down only 50BBs but . . .for me it's a big deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

if a 50BB downswing is a big deal then you shouldn't be playing at that level at all.

imo....anytime you sit down at a poker-table, you have to be playing at a level that a 50BB downswing wouldn't be that big a deal (i'm talking about 4-tabling online here).
if not you're probably playing too high for your emotional bankroll.
swings like these happen frequently.

in other words, it is my opinion that a 50BB swing should NEVER be a big-deal...if it is then you might be playing too high and should adjust accordingly.
Old 05-25-2004, 01:39 PM

Default 50BB\'s?

If 50BB's is enough to make you flip-out, drop down in limits so it is a smaller piece of your bankroll. I often have a 50-100BB swing during a session (I play 3 or 4 tables at a time). You can't stress over your daily numbers. If you are playing $2/4 and winning $10 per hour on average for a single table, look at it as a job where you are paid to play correctly. You may not get paid today, but by the end of the week when you have played 40 hours you will be up $400. If you still are not winning after 40-100 hours, you need a lot of work on your game and should definitly be playing a lower limit. I play mostly $2/4 and $3/6. However, I played about 50 hours of $5/$10 this month.

Did I win? Yes. Did I enjoy it? No. I won only .78BB/hour with a lot of variance and stress. So, it is too high for me at this time. Big deal! I'll move up when I can try again without worrying about the money. Relax and play your best game. The bad streaks always end!

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 05-25-2004, 03:39 PM

I had a 66 BB loss in one session last week, followed by a 20 BB loss the next day.
Major leaks, got my AA, KK and QQ cracked on the river by hands like Q3o and 35o. Bet my nut flushes and straights for value and hit almost none of them. %flops seen was about 19% including blinds due to the lousy cards.
Since then I have had 4 or 5 sessions that were + 6-15 BB.
Those 2 losing sessions knocked the heck out of my BB/hr rate. Of course I know 1 or 2 big winning sessions will push it back up, 4 or 5 more small winning sessions will put me back to where I was with my bankroll.
Old 05-25-2004, 07:17 PM

Well - it's not like I'm playing with scared money - I do have a cushin of 2250 BBs at 2/4 (even after I've paid for a trip to USVI).

I just hate losing. and it really does not happen that often - it the past year I've won 77% of the nights I've played on.

I've had 100BB streaks so I know the feeling of losing.

God - it was an easy question answered by people talking about leaks and whether I'm good enough to play at 2/4 when I SHOULD be playing 3/6 or 5/10 with my bank.

It was a simple question - when this go bad do you drop down or play through. It's not like I have not been doing this for a while.
Old 05-25-2004, 08:00 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
$2-4 on line is generally very soft. If you're losing 50 big bets you probably have several major leaks in your game.
[ QUOTE ]
If you really believe this then:

1. You haven't been playing poker for very long
2. You have never had a losing streak
3. You're an idiot

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with the 1st 2.

50BBs is NOTHING! It's 2 losing sessions for me. TWO! big whoop.

When it gets aroung 120-150+BB, then start worrying a little. I just got done with a 150BB swing. Im still coming out of it, fighting back. It was hell.

If you 'think' losing 50BBs is the result of
'several major leaks', then you have some more studying of the game to do.

It is still a good idea to look for leaks regardless. EVEN when you're winning. You may not be winning as much as you should.

cya

b
Old 05-26-2004, 07:07 AM

I guess it just seems big at the moment because I can only play about 150 hands a day so over 2 weeks 50 seems big.

It's just that I've been breaking even since April after being a 3.7BB/100 for 8 months and 25,000 hands.

You know ya start wondering if the past 25,000 hands were all luck LOL
Old 05-28-2004, 09:31 PM

bernie,

Our hero says: "In the last week I have found every way to lose.......one of my leaks is scary cards do not scare me enough - I just blindly keep betting"

The point I was trying to make is that some losing streaks are self-made and have nothing to do with the way the cards are running. I asked if the # of flops seen, # of folds on the flop, # of hands taken to the river, etc were in line and got thoroughly flamed. It just seems to me that if you understand what you're doing do don't have to ask a strategy question about $2-4 or dropping to $1-2.
Old 05-29-2004, 05:23 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
I asked if the # of flops seen, # of folds on the flop, # of hands taken to the river, etc were in line and got thoroughly flamed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont see anything wrong with asking this. Im not a 'stat' man myself as they can easily be misconstrued. But if it helps turn a light on for someone to look at them, go for it.

[ QUOTE ]
It just seems to me that if you understand what you're doing do don't have to ask a strategy question about $2-4 or dropping to $1-2.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's also a matter of understanding swings and just how bad they can be. Then being able to play through them. These are the defining moments in one's development, imo. Anyone can play during a winning streak. Sometimes it takes a couple/few of these to really grasp it. It did for me. Some never really learn how to play through it. It is a tough hurdle to look at and go over. It still sucks to go through them. That's the way the game goes.

b

ps...I also think posting about bad streaks is theraputic. It was for me when i went through them early. There is an isolated feeling when one goes through it the 1st couple times. It helps to know others have been there and usually worse.