Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2004, 04:32 PM

Default Re: I\'ve had enough of us killing women and children

Does this mean that the acts of a few are the ultimate criteria by which either the validity of war, or the moral and legal judgement of an operation, ought to be determined?
Old 05-19-2004, 04:37 PM

"What makes an American's life any more valuable than an Iraqi's?"

An American life is not more valuable than an Iraqi's life.

Please answer my questions.
Old 05-19-2004, 04:38 PM

Including previous weddings in Iraq and Afghanistan, I think we're 7-0 against wedding parties.
Old 05-19-2004, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does this mean that the acts of a few are the ultimate criteria by which either the validity of war, or the moral and legal judgement of an operation, ought to be determined?

[/ QUOTE ]

In my mind, the validity of the war was determined a long time ago, as was its legality.

This is merely another episode showing that while we are the lone remaining superpower, our moral authority at this point is less than zero. The world is right to cry out against us, our actions, and our amoral and hypocritical administration.
Old 05-19-2004, 04:42 PM

We seriously have to buy these people firecrackers.

In my culture, you only fire guns at weddings if the groom tries to run away.
Old 05-19-2004, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Including previous weddings in Iraq and Afghanistan, I think we're 7-0 against wedding parties.

[/ QUOTE ]

And we are 0-2 against hijacked planes targeting NY.

Funny stuff huh?
Old 05-19-2004, 05:08 PM

What makes an American's life any more valuable than an Iraqi's?

Perspective.

I am an American. To me, an American's life is more valuable.
In the greater picture, we are all equal.

But if I had to choose between my neighbor dying, or an Iraqi, it would be no choice.
Old 05-19-2004, 05:18 PM

OK, I'm out of this thread because the issue gets me so pissed off. Suffice it to say I am sick of our soldiers dying, our citizens over there dying, and sick of others dying at our hands, all for no good reason. I can see zero good that is coming of this whole misguided operation and until it stops, this kind of crap is going to continue happening. Its a shame, and we are the country that supposedly holds itself to a higher standard.
Old 05-19-2004, 05:37 PM

I see us accidentally killing angry civilians who were fed a propreganda to hate us which would create future soldiers/terrorist against us.

I see trying to establish a sphere of influence in the Arab would and possibly not be a focal point in the impending Arab/Israeli holy war.

I see us no longer just letting thing go in the Arab would now that they show that they can hurt us if things go unchecked. We saw the wasp hive build up. We did nothing until one of them stung us hard. We are now knocking another of the hives down. It does not matter to me that whether or not Iraq had WMDs or were a direct threat in the next 10 years. The simple fact is that they could be and we left this situation untidy in for the past 10 years.
Old 05-19-2004, 05:42 PM

As for this specific incident, let's wait until we find out the specific facts before passing judgment.

As for the larger picture, it seems you are on the side saying better to have left Saddam in power so he could kill 100,000 more Iraqis (over time) than we kill 10,000 or so in the process of removing a despot and giving them a chance at freedom and democracy instead of tyranny and internal terror. Sorry but I can't agree. I can empathize with the Iraqis' current sufferings, but I fear that most in the "anti-war" camp don't empathize sufficiently with the sufferings of the Iraqi people when under Saddam--which suffering and bloodshed was far greater.

A choice between evils, and I think our presence there will be shown to have been the lesser evil when all is said and done over the next few years or decade. Of course I could be wrong but I doubt it.

It is only because we are involved now and are currently more exposed to news from Iraq that our awareness of their suffering feels so much more acute. But factually speaking, their suffering was greater under Saddam, and now they also have a chance at a better and freer society. To me the choice seems clear.