Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2004, 06:28 AM

Default Re: Muck a loser or show for image

i still have moments of weakness where i can't help but show my hand

but i have a policy of never showing for one simple reason.

i always want my opponents to show. when they do it makes me happy and usually let's a little more light into their style of play

i don't want my opponents experiencing the same about me
Old 05-06-2004, 11:26 AM

In this situation showing doesn't seem like it's going to matter much in generating action for you if they're regularly drawing on a "miracle 3-outer."

So if it doesn't matter, don't give free info.
Old 05-06-2004, 11:27 AM

Generally I agree, but there are times when it does matter. For example, against a loose player who's giving plenty action and showing his cards when he has you beat, just to prove he "had it" and be a good guy, you may want to reciprocate to keep him at the table and having fun. When the player is next to me, I'll sometimes show just him. Recently I did this and others at the table demanded to see my hand too. "Show one, show all". It happened again and I just said to the other player "I had you beat, I'd show you but then they'd all want to see"
Old 05-06-2004, 11:41 AM

You gain very little (if anything) by showing cards you don't have to. It will help your thinking opponents to get a better read on you.

If you are a tight player, you may get a benefit from occasionally showing a hand that you overplayed a little (or a lot) when your were on the come, because you'll get more action when you really have a hand.

Asa a general rule, make them pay to see your cards.
Old 05-09-2004, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It doesn't matter what your opponents think of your play. It only matters that you know what they think and adjust appropriately.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree. Here are some arguments against it.

[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] You might be able to take advantage of one image much more than you can take advantage of another. In NL, if you have the image of a bluffing maniac, you may be able to get people to call overbets with weak hands, which I believe can be more profitable than having a tight image.

[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] If different opponents have different images of you, it can be hard to deceive them all at the same time, since you only get to choose one play. Maybe it is better to deceive some of them all of the time, but I doubt it.

[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Some images increase the variance of the chips you win. This is poisonous in a SNG, but it might be a nuisance otherwise.

When you show a losing hand, you can bring the other players' images of you closer together. I think that can be valuable, particularly if you are deceptive about it and don't reveal the meanings of earlier actions.

For blackjack, would you rather the house have an image of you as a card-counter, or a player who doesn't know basic strategy?
Old 05-09-2004, 06:30 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

you should make a book of Dynasty'isms. others that should be included are (paraphrased b/c I can't remember your exact words)

- if you are in a game where you can't play A2s or 22 UTG then you aren't playing in the right game
- raise [preflop] because you have the best hand
Old 05-09-2004, 10:31 PM

I think you want these people to keep drawing out against you with their 3-outers when they aren't getting the proper odds.
Old 05-09-2004, 11:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] You might be able to take advantage of one image much more than you can take advantage of another.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can't take advantage of the image you have, the fault lies with your own play. It is not the fault of the image itself.

[ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] If different opponents have different images of you, it can be hard to deceive them all at the same time, since you only get to choose one play.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're in pots with several different opponents, then it's very rare that your image comes into play at all. You should be playing basic poker strategy in those situations. Using the table image you have is most valueable in heads-up or maybe three-handed pots.

[ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Some images increase the variance of the chips you win.

[/ QUOTE ]

Variance is irrelevent unless you have too small a bankroll. And, then the problem is the bankroll, not the image.
Old 05-10-2004, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you want these people to keep drawing out against you with their 3-outers when they aren't getting the proper odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I do. I know that my opponents mistakes are what makes me money. But, I also like winning big pots uncontested. Like I said, my only concern was that my aggressive play in the big pots got no respect.
Old 05-11-2004, 02:34 AM

Showing your "cracked" hand just makes you look like a loser, which is the only image that I actively avoid.