Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2004, 01:26 AM

Default Re: Who says suited connectors are -EV?

I don't like your PF call, or your PF 3 bet. YOur flop bet is ok (only because you have to bet because of your limp raise). I hate the turn checkraise.

I'm a big fan of your river play however.
Old 04-25-2004, 02:08 AM

Default Alright, I will stop biting my tongue and..

"There not -EV, but it looks as if you are on a mission to make them negative."

"it's good to be reminded of how much fun cards used to be when gambling was gambling"

"I dont know the words to describe the turn checkraise."

"terrible. simply terrible. "

"I'm a big fan of your river play however."

Haha, you guys are hilarious. Ok, I will stop biting my tongue and be serious. The play of this hand (in itself) was awful.. I knew that and I posted this hoping to get flamed, and the above quotes are sufficient. "I was happy with my play ... what do you guys think?"
Haha, I crack myself up sometimes..

Ok, my real substantial questions..

1) To what extent do you think the -ev of one specific hand, can influence the positive EV of the other hands you play in a specific session?

2) To what extent do you think players play attention at various levels? For example, the attention of a typical online .5/1 player,
vs. a 5/10 player vs. a 15/30 player? How do you adjust your play to take the most advantage of this?

So, you don't have to worry.. I never really play hands like this.
Needless to say, after this hand, I got called much more on river bets, was followed with inferior hands like 2nd pair way more often, and I had a way easier time inducing bluffs and such...

Of course, at a .5/1 party poker table, this stuff dosen't apply. But, it seems to me, that online at 5/10 is where many people start paying more attention. People notice crazy play, like the above, and adjust their game according. Now of course, actually winning the hand (i think I was a 1/10 shot from the flop according to twodimes.net), helped. And one was to wonder, if when I don't win, if it makes any kind of statement, but it seems like an occasional well placed play like the hand above, can have positive EV in terms of how people continue playing with you during the session.. at least that seem like my experience..

is this crazy?

Old 04-25-2004, 03:33 AM

i dont understand the turn raise. nobody is expecting str8 draw here, so by just calling, they will still bet into you on river when str8 hits. by raising turn, you would normally cost yourself a bet on river. i cant even see anybody folding to this bet EVER, so it cant qualify as a semi-bluff. that means the only question is whether you think you can get both of these guys to fold on river when flush card doesnt hit. what do you think odds are that both of these guys are on flush draws?
Old 04-25-2004, 03:38 AM

Default Re: Alright, I will stop biting my tongue and..

how could you be a 1 in 10 shot with the OESD?
Old 04-25-2004, 05:15 AM

Probably a bad limp. Silly threebet preflop. After that, who really cares.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.
Old 04-25-2004, 05:37 AM

is this crazy?

Yes, and here is why. Because most of the time, you flop nothing, and you have no reason to continue on beyond the flop. If you want to show this hand down, you have to plan on investing about 3 or 4 more big bets, and you may not have any reason to do that, besides showing your bluff.

There will be situations in LP, where you could open raise these hands, and if it turns into a winner and you have to showdown, then you have accomplished your purpose, but with a better chance of winning, and a better chance of getting to a showdown.

1) To what extent do you think the -ev of one specific hand, can influence the positive EV of the other hands you play in a specific session?

I think making a bad judgement, can make everyone question your play, and make them make a lot more curiosity calls. If you have winning hands, that play will probably balance itself out. On the other hand, if you it is one of those sessions where you need your opponents to lay down hands, then you have probably hurt yourself.

I don't know about you, but I probably misread a situation bad enough almost every session, that if my opponents saw my hand, they would make a lot more calls. I don't see the need to do this intentionally, when it happens so easily by accident.

2) To what extent do you think players play attention at various levels? For example, the attention of a typical online .5/1 player,
vs. a 5/10 player vs. a 15/30 player? How do you adjust your play to take the most advantage of this?

I think online, you start to run into a fair number that are paying attention at the 3-6 level. They don't all know what adjustments to make, but they seem to be paying attention, and trying.

Good luck,
play well,

Bob T.
Old 04-25-2004, 07:15 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

ugh.

Were you having trouble getting action on your better hands? Were you not getting paid off? If you were, then this play is useless in this spot as far as EV on future hands.

It seems more players are more concerned about their 'image' when they havent even gauged what their image is on a table. They just assume what their image is.

On the brighter side, it can be fun to let loose with a hand like this.

b