Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2004, 09:27 AM

Default Re: What would Jesus Do....

you haven't looked hard enough
Old 04-21-2004, 09:34 AM

Maybe the fact that Ferguson has a PhD in artificial intelligence or somethin' like that from MIT

Wrong discipline, wrong coast. IIRC, Jesus' Ph.D. is in Game Theory and is from UCLA.
Old 04-21-2004, 10:56 AM

So how come nobody ever brings this up and mentions Chris Ferguson's name when we discuss who got really lucky at the final table of the WSOP

I have said that (not to disparage Chris but to make a point) several times.

Chris F does have a proven track record. Chris M has to establish one (though he's doing fairly well so far). I think we can't judge his WSOP win for a few years.
Old 04-21-2004, 09:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wrong discipline, wrong coast. IIRC, Jesus' Ph.D. is in Game Theory and is from UCLA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meet me half way?

[ QUOTE ]
A doctoral student at U.C.L.A. with a major in computer science (artificial intelligence), this computer Merlin also works his wizardry on the tournament circuit and makes mambo magic on the dance floor.

[/ QUOTE ]

from http://www.pokerpages.com/articles/i...s/ferguson.htm

Old 04-21-2004, 09:52 PM

I've been rereading the McManus book this week. No doubt about it, Jesus gets lucky many times during the final 2 days. TJ really deserved that title from what McManus describes. One difference is that Jesus had been tearing everyone up during the previous tourneys and the minor WSOP events. McManus talks about all the tourneys that Jesus had won and/or cashed in. I think this helped his reputation. Just guessing, but I think Moneymaker's win will gain more acclaim as he continues to be successful in major tournaments.

Another thing is that poker was nowhere near as popular when Jesus won so it wasn't talked about as much. I didn't know what 2+2 was when Jesus won. I'm guessing others didn't either so they had no place to come and bitch about how lucky Ferguson was.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:51 AM

Which is more remarkable: the fact that a student web page from 1994 is still up, or the fact that most of the links are still live?
Old 04-22-2004, 01:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Which is more remarkable: the fact that a student web page from 1994 is still up, or the fact that most of the links are still live?

[/ QUOTE ]

I know, I was amazed when I came across it. The picture is priceless.
Old 04-22-2004, 04:55 PM

Meet me half way?

Artificial Theory at Kansas State?
Old 04-23-2004, 01:40 AM

Default poor moneymaker. wait, I\'m overclempt. n/t

Old 04-23-2004, 02:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Another thing is that poker was nowhere near as popular when Jesus won so it wasn't talked about as much. I didn't know what 2+2 was when Jesus won. I'm guessing others didn't either so they had no place to come and bitch about how lucky Ferguson was.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, this is a really good point. Many folks, myself included, weren't into poker in 2000, or into the internet poker world. So by the time many of these internet trash talkers came to recognize the poker scene, it was simply an established fact that Ferguson was a great player. But we all got to see (tape delayed and heavily edited) just how much luck is involved when Moneymaker won. And gee, if he had to have that much luck, he just can't be any good can he?

If everybody had seen, in the same almost live kinda way, all the luck involved in the previous winners victories, who knows how respect they'd all be getting...

--Zetack