Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2004, 02:06 PM

Default Re: Quick preflop question

Naturally it depends on the other players, but to me, position is key. I'd be much more likely to call 2 cold from the button, than I would call 1+ from SB. You get to see all the action before you have to decide to continue with the hand on the flop.

You can get much better value for your hand if you hit something. And you can likely continue a little further into the hand if you catch 2 pr or a flush draw. I definately would prefer a staight draw to a flush draw with this hand, because there is a much higher likeliness that your made straight will be good but a flush will not be.
Old 04-19-2004, 02:35 PM

Fold.
Old 04-19-2004, 03:15 PM

Default Bob T. says it all - N/M

Old 04-19-2004, 05:44 PM

Default Results

I decided to call. The overwhelming factor on my call was because the table was full of players described by PokerBob. They would chase any pair and any 3 card flush or straight, so I knew I could get paid off if I hit. Plus, it's an easy hand to get away from if I miss. I agree, however, it does depend on your opponents.

Also, LetsRock I think you are playing a little scared. Worrying about flopping two pair while your opponent flops a set or flopping flushes when others have higher flushes seems extreme. Yes, it is possible, but I don't think they should weigh that heavy on your decisions. However, an overpair counterfeiting your 2 pair with a pair on the board is a concern.
Old 04-19-2004, 06:04 PM

Am I the only one that would have raised here? Sometimes all it takes is one crazy hand to get people in a nice, loose, gamb00ling mood.

Folding would be best, but a raise serves more purpose than a call here.

Martin
Old 04-19-2004, 06:25 PM

Default Re: Results

I wouldn't call it scared, just cautious. I just don't like making loose calls and then hitting just enough of the board to feel like I have to stick around.

I like starting hands that are strong enough to be winners if they catch just a bit of the board.

What happens when you get a flop of say K56? You bet or c/r and get raised form the raiser? Is he bluffing? Does he have AK or does he have KK? You don't know unless you have a really good read on him.

If he's bluffing or has AK, you either have the risk of missing a bet on the turn or river if you go into check/call mode. If you remain aggressive and bet into him again you risk another raise, which you probably really don't like to see. I think it's even a worse situation if you flop a flush or flush draw - you just have no way of knowing where you stand. Add another power card to the turn and your head could be spinning.

So you either collect close to the minimum or lose more than you had to from EP. This gets much more complicated if you have others getting involved with the raising. I just prefer to not get caught up in these types of spots if I can avoid it, and not calling 1+ bets from SB is a means of avoiding it.

Maybe I just see diferent cards than everyone else, but I've had much better suited connectors than these get caught in an ugly situation or twelve. Why even go there to begin with?
Old 04-19-2004, 06:39 PM

Am I the only one that would have raised here?

No, I'm sure other LAG fish with no clue of how to play solid poker would be with you on this one. Raising kills your implied odds and does nothing to tie your opponents into the pot since the poster already stated that they call with anything anyway. Horrible idea.

As for the hand in question, I would fold, but I think it is closer than people's responses have indicated. If this particular B&M cardroom were run by Dutch Boyd (i.e. rakefree), then I just would call given the description of their postflop tendencies. But since there's probably a 3+1 drop, you're not actually getting 6:1 on your call; more like 5:1, which is just enough to turn it into a fold for me. I do disagree with what's been said about position relative to the raiser though. Your position is in no way good; you're practically straight across the table from him. You want him on your immediate left here, not your right, not directly across. Two players between him on your left, and two players between him on your right is not good position, so stop saying it is.

HAIL TO THE KING!!!
Old 04-19-2004, 06:53 PM

good post king.

i was going to chime in about the rake myself, but you already did. it is probably a fold anyway, but with the rake it is a no brainer.

cheers!
Old 04-19-2004, 07:11 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: Results

hey doesn't matter... foooooooold prefop
Old 04-19-2004, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If this particular B&M cardroom were run by Dutch Boyd (i.e. rakefree)...

[/ QUOTE ]

If the cardroom were run by Dutch Boyd, I reccomend you get your money out of it as soon as possible.