Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2004, 12:10 PM

Default Re: AA early on

The pot was bet at and reraised, so you did the right thing.
If it had been limped at, then it'd be harder to judge, but under in that situation I'd push every time.

Mors
Old 09-04-2004, 10:02 PM

Default One slub\'s opinion

While it was a bit big relative to the pot, I don't think it's terrible for a few reasons:

1) If you make a pot-sized raise (calling the 125 and then matching that) then you're pot-committed anyway. So, better to put maximum pressure and hope someone has kings. For 3-way the hands they called with were about as good as you could hope for.

2) Finishing 4th is no better than finishing 10th. In fact, it's worse because you waste more time not winning money. Better to take a shot at doubling/tripling up when you're a big favoriate, and then giving yourself a great chance to be dangerous.

3) plenty of people will read your big bet as an over-bet and call with inferior hands, or dominated hands, as happened here. And again, given the pot-committed aspect, I don't really think it's an overbet.

Just my opinions. The best part is that you didn't get hung up on the fact that it worked out and you won, but rather you analyzed it later. Personally, I hope not to see you at the tables.
Old 09-04-2004, 10:11 PM

Default Hiding - I like this answer better...

Although as another poster mentioned, it may underestimate how loose 10+1 players are.
Old 09-04-2004, 10:24 PM

I dont' fault your push. The idea is to get all of your chips and as many of their chips in the pot when you have the best hand.
I probably would have rasied t250, only because I would want them to call me (or maybe even reraise) so I could get more of their chips in the pot later.
In this case you already accomplished that.
Old 09-05-2004, 02:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Your concern in this situation should be how to extract the most money from these opponents, while keeping in mind the additional risk of busting out if either one calls on a favorable flop when they would have folded preflop. You cannot be worried about your AA being busted by anyone who will go all-in before the flop. If this is something about which you do worry, you should not be playing NL!

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this 100%. The best hand IS the best hand. If every sit-n-go you ever played you got AA the second hand and two players raise and re-raise ahead of you, you'd be making the right play to move in every time you did it. The majority of the time, you will win (unless the whole damn table calls. BEWARE of the low limits [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]), and when you don't, you'l know you played it right. To put maximum pressure on a player willing to call with a lesser hand time and time again is how winning player become winning players.

So bet those chips. Your bankroll can thank you later.
Old 10-16-2004, 03:15 AM

You played it prefectly. Your goal with aces should be to get all in preflop where you are a favorite over any hand.
Old 10-16-2004, 10:06 AM

If you don't want to gamble, don't play poker.

The only question here is whether the push is likely to scare people away, so you should make a smaller reraise. The problem is that if you raise to 1/3 or 1/2 of everyone's chips, it pretty much pot comits everyone. It looks like you have a big pair and want callers. With a push, it might look like you are trying to steal the pot. Therefore, I would push.
Old 10-16-2004, 01:52 PM

I just finished a $10 SnG on Party. My seocnd hand dealt was AA on the button. everyone has 800-825 chips. UTG+1 bets 60, and MP+1 bets 125, I pushed all 800. My thinking was that even though its party what fool is going to call?

Didn't read any more than this.

Early on, the fools are still sat there and it is a great spot to go all in and try to get a caller.

If they don't then at least you have a nice pot against slightly better than normal opponents, so the extra chips should be handy anyway.

Lori
Old 10-16-2004, 01:59 PM

Actually, I'd like to ask a related question.

Early on in a couple of recent SNG's and MTT's, when I get aces in EP, raise, and there's a reraise behind I've been coming over the top. My reasoning has been that they're less likely to get away from the hand if I don't just reraise again.

In everyone's experience, does this work when the stacks are deepish? (Example: You have 1500-2K chips and get AA UTG. You raise to 90. A guy in MP with a similar stack reraises to 300-400. Does pushing or min-reraising produce better results?)
Old 10-16-2004, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does pushing or min-reraising produce better results?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Pushing tends to produce better results. Min-reraises are too often signs of extreme strength.