Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2004, 05:34 AM

Default Re: Louis Kahn

All the talk of the spirituality of the materials evades me, too. In literature, writers usually associated with postmodernism tend to "bare the device," as the critical theory goes. That is, they manifest the fictive devices that operate within a text, often blurring the line between fiction and reality. Italo Calvino's If on a winter's night sort of fits here.

Kahn's buildings, with their exposed concrete walls, seem comparable. (One person in the film theorizes, though, that Kahn exposes the scars and imperfections because his own face was scarred and imperfect.) Nevertheless, I think you would enjoy the movie.
Old 04-13-2004, 10:53 AM

Default Re: Quick Movie Review: My Architect

[ QUOTE ]
Saw it the other night (and dragged along Rick, too).

[/ QUOTE ]

You didn't drag me along as I was a willing participant. Who else would I go to “artsy fartsy” movies with? Besides, we were already walking by, had already walked the city, and it was too early to go out for a drink given we just ate a big meal.

I liked the movie too. Seeing it put me back in another time given the size of the screen (I bet Ray Zee's home system is bigger). I enjoyed the other amenities too, for instance, good coffee at the snack bar that seemed no more expensive than Duncin Donuts.

Anyway, the last time I went to the Cable Car Cinema was 26 years ago on one of my first dates with my ex-wife. We went to see Dona Flor and Her Two Husbands, one of those "artsy" films that I thought would impress her. Our relationship almost didn't survive the early scene where the ghost of Dona's first husband follows her down the street naked with his "member" prominently exposed. Given the dusty couches used for seats, she wondered what she was getting into and came close to walking out.

BTW, I found some good links to Haven's Brothers I might post under that Best Hamburger thread if I get time. Had a chance to go there last night and things have only changed a little.

See you next year,

Rick

PS On the way home on 95 south I saw the sign for the new "corporate sponsor" of the old Civic Center". Now that was funny.